Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,552   Online: 1181

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jerry, would you please be more specific? Point me at tests including, please, tests of lenses for the Mamiya 7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did this about 40 years ago with a cheap T mount bellows and a lens/leaf shutter stuck on the front. 135mm FuSchNikonagon w/x synch.
    IOW see reply #5. It's that simple.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, John, I've never done it. But I do have a Graflex SLR set up to attach to a 2x3 Cambo standard, a couple of view cameras, and a couple of press cameras. Slow working, as your bellows rig must have been.

The poor OP, however, wrote about using a lens for a leaf shutter MF SLR, not a lens set up to be used on a press/technical/view camera. This is a little harder because those lenses are in shutters set up to be cocked and fired by linkages from the camera body. More pain. I've adapted a 60/5.6 Konica Hexanon ex-Koni-Omega to my 2x3 cameras. In its native shutter, with no cable release and with release at the rear, it is simply unusable on anything but a K-O. I solved the problem by putting the cells in another shutter.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Dan,

Maybe this will help. A normal lens for a 6x6 cm (120 format) camera is ~80mm while that for a 35mm camera is ~50mm. Find the lens resolution for a Hasselblad or Bronica 80mm lens and one for a 50mm Nikon lens. The lens manufacturers publish the lens test results. I would look at the resolution at 2 stops down from wide open for each lens. Usually there are three values for each aperture. These correspond to the resolutions for the negative at the center, off center and edge. The more lines/mm the better the resolution. If you look at several lenses in each group you will find that the resolution of a MF lens is less than that for a 35mm lens. Think about it, a MF negative requires less enlargement than a 35mm negative so less resolution (for the camera lens) is required to produce a comparable print. To produce a MF lens with the same resolution as a 35mm lens would make the price prohibitively high.

Perhaps the following analogy will help. Several TLR cameras had kits so that 35mm film could also be used in them. You were essentailly using a MF lens for 35mm film. These kits never really caught on. Why? The resolution with the 35mm film was t0o poor.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 04-26-2011 at 03:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerry, thanks for the kind reply. I understand the theory you expounded, it is the conventional wisdom. Where's data that supports it? He who makes an assertion must deliver supporting data, not tell people who question him to find it themselves.

Here's some: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/MF_testing.html

Short answer, some of the MF lenses Chris tested agree with the conventional wisdom, others refute it. Moral? Be careful with generalizations. There are also superb, by 35 mm still camera standards, and less than superb lenses for formats larger than 6x9.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, John, I've never done it. But I do have a Graflex SLR set up to attach to a 2x3 Cambo standard, a couple of view cameras, and a couple of press cameras. Slow working, as your bellows rig must have been.

The poor OP, however, wrote about using a lens for a leaf shutter MF SLR, not a lens set up to be used on a press/technical/view camera. This is a little harder because those lenses are in shutters set up to be cocked and fired by linkages from the camera body. More pain. I've adapted a 60/5.6 Konica Hexanon ex-Koni-Omega to my 2x3 cameras. In its native shutter, with no cable release and with release at the rear, it is simply unusable on anything but a K-O. I solved the problem by putting the cells in another shutter.

Cheers,

Dan
    Hi Dan,
    The OP said "potentially" using a MF lens. Using a lens in a leaf shutter solves most of the problems regarding cocking linkages. And they're more compact too.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin