Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,903   Online: 981

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Replacing a Minolta SRT MC-II focusing screen

I got a really cheap SRT MC-II off of ebay (only $25 and free shipping). The only problem with it is that the focusing screen has a good bit of haze taking up most of the screen on the prism side. That's not big problem since I have an unrepairable one here with a perfectly fine screen I can use. I just don't know how to remove the screens so I can swap them out. Does anybody know how to do this?

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Michael;

Yes, there is a process for doing this, but it does take some work and a few special tools. The main thing is to get the top and pentaprism off. Let me look for a URL I saw recently for a copy of a Minolta SR-T something service manual.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Ralph said it does take some work. The good thing is a set of jewelers screwdrivers does most of it. A spanner is needed for the screw on the wind lever but sometimes you can use a heavy rubber band to get a grip on it and unscrew it. The nut under the rewind knob is also undone with a spanner.

OK, you have your tools

#1 Set the shutter speed to "B" and the asa to 100. This is a reference point AND it takes tension off the spring on the metering resistor
    There are two "hidden" screws on the body. The lens index with the red dot and the wind lever screw. Both the red dot and the black cover are pried off.
    The dot I use a fine sewing needle to dig under it a bit. a drop of alcohol may help loosen it.

Remove the RW knob, the large spanner nut beneath it and the wind lever.
    The red dot has to come off as well as the screws on the front plate., Lift off the plate.
    Now take out all the remaining screws around the top cover and gently remove the cover. AS SOON AS YOU HAVE THE COVER OFF, Put the large spanner nut back on the RW shaft. this keeps the resistor from falling off. You're going to notice all the meter coupling is done with a heavy thread. You don't want to f**k this up.
    As I recall, the circuit board covers the prism. There are two metal bracket holding the prism in place and possibly one or two pieces of black tape. Remove them.
    The prism should lift out to one side and the focussing screen visible.
    THE SCREEN, MASK AND CONDENSER ARE CLOSE TO THE METER NEEDLE. If this has shutter/aperture visible through the finder, be extremely careful. These can be knocked out of alignment by looking at them wrong.
    THERE ARE THREE PARTS TO THE SCREEN! A condenser lens, a mask and the screen itself. The works will drop out if you invert the camera.
    Reassembly is in reverse order. The screen itself has to be slipped under the needle PITA. Use something to keep from touching it while you're getting it in there. You do not want fingerprints on it(evidence)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ouch! This sounds like something I'm going to have to send to somebody who is more mechanically inclined than I am. I don't want to turn this camera into a doorstop with my ham-fisted hands! I can use it now as-is, I'll just have to externally meter it right now to make sure I have the right exposure settings, but I can live with that until I have the money to send it off for repair. Thanks for info, John. Now I know for sure it will be worth what I pay to have the work done!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mcfortner,
    After you have done it a few dozen times it gets easier
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin