Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 984

Vancouver, Canada (I also have a USA shipping address)
    Shooter
    Multi Format

how long does it take fungus to grow on lens?

i bought an old 35mm rangefinder on ebay
    advertised as clean, fully tested, resealed with a pristine lens

7 weeks later i'm checking out my equipment late one night for kicks (i know i'm not the only one who does that) and notice fungus. it covers about 0.5cm in length from the edge of the lens to the center, and spans about a fifth of the circumference of the lens

could it have grown in the 7 weeks since seller shipped it as he claims

kept it in my dry bedroom
    shot one roll outside when it was dry and cold (early spring)
    Last edited by chij; 05-13-2011 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where I'm from (hot >28C, and humid >80% climate all year round), fungus can definitely grow within that time frame, if the lens is not kept in a humidity-controlled dry cabinet

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd guess it could grow that quickly in ideal conditions (like Kuala Lumpur!) but I would reckon it would have to be already established in the lens. In less humid conditions, fungus growth would be more likely to take years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Fungus growth is dependent on light intensity, relative humidity and temperature. Control of these three factors can inhibit the growth.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Faster than you want.

If a camera is sitting around, take off the lens cap, open the aperture and set it in a position so that the lens gets sunlight in it. Then leave it there until it is time to use it again.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only took a month to lose some cameras and lenses stored inappropriately in the UK one Summer. A cool poorly ventilated darkroom can suffer as you get condensation from warmer air from outside. I don't store lenses (or cameras) in an unheated or basement darkroom.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin