Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,608   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Third Time Lucky - DIY Panoramic Wide Angle Camera Creates Actual Images!!

As some of you probably know, I have been building a 6x12 format camera with a Super Angulon 65mm lens (details in the link at the bottom of this post).

On Sunday I took it out for its trial run with a roll of film. I got home and processed the film.... opened the tank and was presented with six very black frames!

I looked at the camera to try to work out how the light was getting in. I decided that it was the material which I used to make the lens board out of. Although it looked opaque, it must have been passing some light so I stuck some film backing paper to it and went out again last night with another roll of film. This time..... another six black negatives!

I spent a bit more time looking over the camera last night and eventually found the problem. I had used part of an old Olympus lens as a focusing mount and there were two narrow slits allowing light in. I could only really see it by holding it in front of a bright light and moving it around.

Today I filled those gaps with some black silicon and took it out with a third roll of film. The result.... six wonderful wide angle images which I will print, scan and post in the next few days.

Although I haven't printed then yet, it seems that I have sharp focus from very close to infinity with the lens focused at infinity which makes me wonder why I bothered making the focusing mount! My original plan of setting the lens at hyperfocal distance for f16 would have been fine.

Anyway, I'm off to do a little happy dance and perhaps have a celebration beer now!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 05-25-2011 at 03:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Congrulations Steve ! Super Angulon is one of a super lens and making it to work is great. If I am not wrong Ansel Adams was demonstrating tilt shift effect with that lens at his book. Very complex lens and favorite of German Industrial Photographers at 50s. You must work hard to find its nature and suitable film , developer , paper combination. I saw many factory insider shots with it and just a not too much contrasty , not so smooth lens with glow and metallic look , I like with Leicas. I will send you my German magazine copy today.

Edit : My browser could not show any picture but text.

Umut

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Awesome, I look forward to seeing an image from it! A rude question though: why not 6x17, enlarger size limits or something?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    why not 6x17, enlarger size limits or something?
    Just based on coverage of the lens. I bought it from one of my father's friends for the bargain price of £20 then had to decide what to do with it. I didn't have plans to build anything like this until the lens appeared.

As it only just covers 5x4 I thought a 6x12 would be perfect. The next plan is a 5x4 back which takes the same lens board with it's focusing mount.

I didn't have a big enough enlarger when I started but I do now.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can't argue with a 20-quid Schneider!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And here are some pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wide1-s.jpg   wide2-s.jpg   wide3-s.jpg   wide4-s.jpg   wide5-s.jpg  

wide6-s.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice! Good work. I'd also be interested to see the camera itself.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Amazing shots!! We are so thrilled for you! Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Very nice! Good work. I'd also be interested to see the camera itself.
    I second that - would LOVE to see that camera

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I second that - would LOVE to see that camera
    There is a link to a webpage documenting its construction in my signature line below.

I will add a finished picture soon. I still have to make a replacement back out of oak so it matches the rest of the camera. It will look better than the grey PVC back it currently has.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pleased to see your going forward with this camera. I've seen it around quite a bit. It inspired me to try building my own pinhole version last year. I wish I could get a 65mm for that price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin