Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,796   Online: 1020

Shooter
    Large Format

Red frame number window replacement

I was wondering if anyone has had any successful experience with replacing the red frame number view windows that were common in older roll film cameras. I have a couple of decent, probably usable cameras whose only fault is that the red plastic has been lost.

Thanks.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps a small, correctly cut piece of transparent Plexiglas (or similar material of proper thickness) covered over with a matching piece of low-tack Rubylith? Just apply the Rubylith first, then gently cut the plastic to size. Relatively small source squares of Plexiglas and Rubylith would probably be enough for scores of repairs.

Don't know if Rubylith might be too dark, however...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hit a theatrical supply house and buy a Rosco or Lee swatch book, for a few dollars. B&H sells them as well. A swatch of the samller size is 1" x3", and there will be several suitable reds. Then you have a ton of other gels to get you thinking of the light modification possibilities.

Rubylith would work as well, but trying the find it could be a challenge today, particularly if you want just a tiny amount.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Automotive tail light lens repair tape may work too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Litho tape is a high quality red transparent tape that is handy for this and countless other uses in photography.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I already have some Rosco gel sample books and either rubylith, litho tape or auto taillight repair tape should be easy to find.

I'll report back on which one I settle on.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the plastic (on which to apply the red gel), you could try the plastic from one of those impossible to open clamshell packs.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin