Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,455   Online: 1064

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Super Speedex - seized helical...

Hi, all -

My new Super Speedex arrived today, and everything but the focus helical is in good order. I've (long ago) had a Karat helical apart, but don't even know where to start with this one. Any suggestions on how to get into this and clean/lube the helical? I've tried to gently apply heat from a hair dryer from the rear (to apply directly to the helical) without success - the camera heats up, but the helical doesn't seem to gain much heat...

Thanks,
    Scott

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took the focus ring off mine as the first step to solve the probelm you are facing. Loosen, do not undo the three tiny screws. Getting the thread to start again is hell.

I used a dabbing of white gas/naptha applied with a tooth pick drop by drop to all signs of a thread and let it soak laying lens up for half a day so hopefully some of this solvent would soak into the dreaded green goo.

Then, as gentle as I could, I gripped the lens holder with a pair of curved jaw slip joint pliers set to the right size. While holding the shutter, and not the camera body, with slow steady pressure and turning the lens holder unscrewed. Your range finder is likely screwed up as well with this old lube.

Scrape all the congealed old lubricating crap out with toothpicks, sewing needles, etc. I relube with silcone grease sold to lube Moen faucet valve cartridges

Recollimate the lens, and then start to hunt down the pinholes in your bellows. If it is an old ansco/afga I can almost guarantee you will find a few.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Similar to mr. Wilde except I'd use a drop of penetrating oil.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys, but this is a Super Speedex - unit focus, not front cell like the regular Speedex/Isolette. I'm dripping alcohol (denatured ethanol) into the threads on the helical from the rear right now, hoping that, in a day or two, it'll start to move...

Also, they had much higher quality bellows than the others in the line, which I have always replaced outright rather than try to patch.
    Last edited by bliorg; 06-14-2011 at 08:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin