Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,925   Posts: 1,585,029   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pentax LX shutter curtain replacement/repair: Worth it? Possible?

Hello all

So the happiness of the LX was short lived, as I've discovered that there is a tear in the shutter curtain. Is it worth it to replace (or repair, which I doubt is possible) this part?

I'm so sad (the tears are welling up as I type this), as this camera fits like a glove.

Ebay is not an option, before someone even thinks of telling me of looking there for another.

I've emailed a place that repairs cameras (the one guy specializes in LX body repairs and services) still waiting for a reply.

Is there hope?

thank you in advance

Ricus

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have you emailed Eric at www.pentaxs.com?

He'll tell you straight away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for your reply.

I'll e-mail him to find out if it's possible. I doubt if I would be able to send it to him as this would involve to and thro international shipping.

The one local (South African) repair tech. replied to my e-mail, he doesn't seem keen at all to attempt a repair (too hard, too time consuming, too expensive, plus he says he hated working on LXs)

I've spoken to another repair tech, who seems a bit more positive, but I need to courier the body to him so that he can have a closer look.

I really want to save this camera (or I've wasted money on a (near) dead LX body and a few LX accessories)
    In a whole this looked like a really good deal (all items still have their boxes, all the papers are there, the softcase is unused, etc.) I am willing to spend a bit more money, but even I have my limit.

I'll wait for Eric's reply. But I have this sinking feeling I bought a lemon, and now I'm screwed.

Incidentally I checked on Ebay, there where only two LXs there, that says alot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry to hear of this disappointment. Is there any way you could return it, given that the seller did not inform you (and maybe did not know) of the defect?

Sometimes there are several LX's up on ebay; other times only a couple.

I think it would probably be simpler to replace the shutter as an assembly than to replace just the curtain, but I'm no expert on repairs. If a repairman has a donor camera with dead electronics or some other fault, it's possible parts could be used from it, or maybe yours would be the parts camera to get that one going.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I'm sorry to hear of this disappointment. Is there any way you could return it, given that the seller did not inform you (and maybe did not know) of the defect?

Sometimes there are several LX's up on ebay; other times only a couple.

I think it would probably be simpler to replace the shutter as an assembly than to replace just the curtain, but I'm no expert on repairs. If a repairman has a donor camera with dead electronics or some other fault, it's possible parts could be used from it, or maybe yours would be the parts camera to get that one going.
    Hi

I hoped you would reply (must be your name)

I can't return the camera, seller didn't know either (I don't blame them) so that won't work.

Yes I agree, I reckon replacing the whole shutter assembly would be easier than replacing only the curtain. The problem is the "rarity" of these bodies in South Africa, the one technician doesn't seem keen to do this, even resorting to fibbing about things (and hinting that I should go d******, and that makes me take my business elseware)

Checked Ebay again, 8 in total available, but that's not the route I wish to go down with.

IF push comes to shove, this camera will have to go the UK (Harrow Technical) or the USA (Eric). This would depend on the total amount incl. shipping to & from.

I'm still waiting for another repair shop to give a quote (though he seems te reckon that he will be able to "patch" the shutter, though I have my doubts), at least he isn't snotty about me using film.

Ricus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    Hi

IF push comes to shove, this camera will have to go the UK (Harrow Technical) or the USA (Eric). This would depend on the total amount incl. shipping to & from.
    Both are quite good.

I'm still waiting for another repair shop to give a quote (though he seems te reckon that he will be able to "patch" the shutter, though I have my doubts), at least he isn't snotty about me using film.
    Does he know the curtain is titanium?
    I suppose a patch is possible, depending on the severity of the tear. Maybe it would be as simple as attaching cloth shutter material to the curtain.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    PentaxForums has a fellow selling a brand new LX superkit FYI.

Shooter
    35mm
    All tears (whether liquid or physical cuts) are not created equal.

Some physical tears can be manually mended. If this is just a random hole in the curtain you could do this: (please do not accuse me if things go wrong as this must be done with surgical precision): With the camera on Bulb and no lens in the mount, fire at bulb. HOLD the mirror up and release the shutter. TAPE SECURELY the mirror where it is to the top part of the mount. Now you have ready access to the curtain from both sides. NOTE: If the tear is on the second curtain, the released shutter will reveal it. If it is on the first curtain advance the shutter again and it will be then in the film aperture. With the mirror taped up to the top, place the tiniest bit of Gorilla glue on each side of the curtain, careful not to get any elsewhere! Spread it so that all of the glue is meshed into the cloth from both sides. Let dry with the mirror still taped upward.

This might work, depending on the extent of the tear. I would also apply a tiny bit of acrylic black opaque paint to the tear area, again smearing completely on both sides, to preclude light access causing fog. If this does not work do what I did to my Russian FED when it developed pinholes in the first curtain: I cut a precise rectangle of black, opaque gaffer tape (NOT duct tape) to the exact size of the film aperture (about 24 X 36 mm), smeared the tape with the tiniest amount of Gorilla glue, then carefully and precisely placed the tape onto the front side of the camera's entire first curtain and, using my fingers to steady the curtain from the back side, carefully made sure that there were NO spots where the tape was uneven. This has to be done so that the tape looks like the actual curtain so that when retracted, the curtain will roll up onto its spindle perfectly.

Assuredly, these are rather drastic measures and taken only if you can stand defeat. But my FED now works like new. The smeared Gorilla glue (very, very thin coat so NONE bleeds over) makes sure the tape (especially the edges) stays put. Again, do these things ONLY if you have perseverance, patience, and little to lose doing this. - David Lyga.
    Last edited by David Lyga; 06-30-2011 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: many changes in text

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will have to weigh in ALL my options. Buy another OR send it overseas to have the shutter assemble replaced OR look for another dead body with a whole shutter but dead otherwise (like lxdude suggested) and hope I can find a local technician willing to do a transplant, according to the one tech. there are(were in his words) only two technicians who can work on these in South Africa, him and another guy. He is not willing, and I have yet to contact the other.

Patching the Titanium foil shutter seems impossible to me (if it were rubberised silk...), but I wouldn't know, I'm not a repair tech.

Thank you all for your replies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What a shame, this is a very understated and elegant 35mm camera. I just saw one recently at my favorite camera store (here in Canada).

Fingers crossed that a repair is possible, I say it's worth it. FWIW I've heard pentaxs.com mentioned a few times in a positive light...best of luck to you.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin