Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,864   Posts: 1,583,190   Online: 760

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some thin card to mask off behind the shutter for 24x24mm images, just more empty space between frames. Some black tape to mask the mirror carefully so you only see square composition in the view finder, or mask prism above the mirror. Simple.

Or even just mask the prism or mirror, and not the back, just center crop later.

Shooter
    35mm
    Masking the negative to a square would be the easy part, as others have suggested. Converting the wind lever to advance less film, while cocking the camera, would be the tricky part.

Why not just hunt up a half-frame camera instead? I have a half-frame Zeiss and it's a jewel to use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    there is a very good reason to continue as you are - by being conscious of the movable square you have to play with, you have the equivalent of the back rise and fall of a large format camera. i shoot 35mm square like this and i have the chioce of correcting or exagerating convergences.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do want to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. The reasons for me doing this weren't very profound, I just thought, if it were possible without too much cost or work, that it would be a nice way to save a little film by not shooting full frames, knowing that I would be cropping out a definite portion of each frame.

I don't worry about what I 'see' in the viewfinder as I always shoot (***these particular shots, not every photo I make***) in the horiz. position so my top and bottom are always used. I also understand the whole crop process in printing, etc.

Not a big deal, I will just go on as is. I just thought that if there was an easy way to alter the film advance lever on an SLR I would do that and would have felt kinda dumb if it were possible and the only reason I didn't do it was because I was too lazy to ask.

For me, I will consider this topic concluded. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I would first suggest getting an extra focusing screen and drawing crop lines on it with a ruler and thin-point sharpie. Then you can frame square format or the full frame. I don't think getting 14 extra shots per roll is worth the trouble of tearing into the camera and making a permanent modification. Make sure to draw the lines on the smoothest side of the glass, so the ink does not bleed through the fresnel or ground glass pattern.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a Zeiss Ikon Taxona.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    OK so your reason is to save film if it's so if you don't mind using a little bit smaller format still by getting a half frame camera. You can get 70 exposure out of a 36 exp. roll. The cost of film photography really related to how many pictures you take rather than how much film you actually use. The saving for using less film is very little and I don't think it's worth the effort.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can find an old 126 camera that used single stroke winding those shot 35mm film in square format. It might not be a berfect solution, but it is a solution.

Here is a camera that shoots 2 photos per standard 25mm frame http://cgi.ebay.com/National-Geograp...#ht_500wt_1156 Yes, it is a toy, but it does something similar to what you want to do and if nothing else you could open it up and see how it does what it does.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOMO's got a new camera that allow winding/rewinding film. at random. You would have to determine how much to wind for the proper negative width, masking the negative aperture is kids play.
    Their suggested use for you hipsters out there is to give a streaked image.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsphotoart View Post
    I have been using my 35mm Pentax in the horiz format and cropping the sides in printing to create square images. Was wondering if anyone knows how easy or difficult it is (or of it is even possible) to modify a body to not advance the film as far, thus enabling more shots on a roll of film.

I would assume if it could be done at all, the more basic a camera was, the better (no problem with that). I currently have a Pentax P3 with a manual film advance lever.

Again, I don't mind shooting the way I do know but I assume I could get almost 50 shots on a 36 exp roll if it could be done.

Get yourself an Olympus Pen FT, or a Yashica samurai and get 72 pix on a 36 roll.

I have a Pen FT but it is in England

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin