Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,187   Online: 880

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +update

On a somewhat unrelated note (I don't feel like starting another thread just yet), I re-assembled the lens just to see if I got the focus right and it seems bang on (at least at infinity). But when rotating the lens towards close focus (between 0.6-0.7m) i hear a click. Okay I thought it could be something loose, but when I turn it back towards infinity, as it passes that very same spot, I hear horrible crunching noise. It didn't take long to realize that a spring was interfering with the rear element. You can see it happening in the pic below.

It only happens when the depth of field lever thingy is pushed towards the left (when mounted on camera). The tension on the lever pulls the spring right into the path of the rear element when i try to focus it back towards infinity.

My first thought was that I re-assembled the helicoids incorrectly (and the rear element was pushing too far into the barrel causing the spring to pop in), but the infinity focus is working, so I assume everything else is accurate, and the elements are positioned where they are supposed to be.

What gives? I plan on disassembling the lens to properly grease, but I would like to know how to fix this as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110723_185445.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like the stop down spring. There is usually a groove inside the mount to keep it from popping out like that.
    I use lithium for the helicoids. =-)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Owch. Yeah I looked for it but it doesn't appear to have such a groove. Here is a better shot of someone else's Minolta 58/1.4. Top-down view of the mount. As you see there is nothing stopping the spring from going into the path of the rear element (bottom right).

If it didn't do this before why on earth would it be doing it now? o_O
    In any case I want to be certain because overtime the spring will get damaged if I leave it that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your link to tripod didn't work, and you do have your lens assembled wrong. I'd guess that blurry ridge to the right of the spring should be rotated to the left to keep the spring in place.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oh shoot. I think the tripod site doesn't like hotlinks. you might want to copy the link URL instead, I can't seem to edit the post to embed the image. Sorry!

I'll take another look at it, but I dunno how I could go wrong, it only fits one way on this lens anyway. I'll try to get a clearer picture, but my phone doesn't do macro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forgive the double post, but here is a clearer image of my own lens. I looked for any place where it would be guarded from going in but i found nothing. A member pointed out that the spring should be curved instead of straight though.

Anyways I'll leave it at that for now and will update on how the greasing goes later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been a while(what hasn't?) But if there's tension on the spring why isn't the spring pulling the actuator towards the fixed post?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    But if there's tension on the spring why isn't the spring pulling the actuator towards the fixed post?
    Because the ring is already as far counter-clockwise as it can go. The actuation direction is clockwise, not counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for our British friends).

I think the spring should attach to the vertical black tang by his right thumb in the last photo.

That tang and its base move clockwise to close the aperture when the camera fires. The aperture ring, at the screw end of the spring, moves as far as the aperture ring setting will allow. That's the reason for the spring.

When engaged in that position I believe it will be completely clear of the rear lens element.

When the lens is in its non-released state, as viewed here, the tang pushes the aperture control ring to the full open position (counter-clockwise).

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 07-26-2011 at 12:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, The spring is connected properly and the stop down lever should be as far CW as possible.
    The tab has nothing to do with the spring.
    There is a small black light baffle held on by three screws visible from the back of the mount. This should have a raised edge
    (~2mm) on the inside of the mount and the spring rides against it.

Has this baffle been installed upside down giving a smooth surface inside and a raised edge outside?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has this baffle been installed upside down giving a smooth surface inside and a raised edge outside?
    Bingo.

WOW I feel like a fool. Thank you very much for pointing it out. And now my lens is all good to go.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin