Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,101   Posts: 1,636,447   Online: 995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Making a Nikon F to LTM adapter?

Hi, all. I have a Leica IIIf on which I would like to mount a Nikon F-mount wide angle lens. I figure a Tamron or Tokina 17mm will cost, what, $2700 less than a new Leica 18mm, it seems like a good idea.

I've seen F-Leica M adapters for sale on eBay, but I can't use that. The Novoflex adapter is almost $300 and a special order.

I found THIS ONE for 53 Euros, or, like, $100 plus shipping.

Do you think I could cut down a Nikon M2 extension tube to the required 17mm and put a LTM mount on the back? How difficult could it be? ... Are there cheaper pre-made adapters available somewhere else?

Thanks,
    --Bob
    Last edited by drumminor2nd; 08-02-2011 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. You don't just want to spring for a CV lens? They have a bunch of focal lengths to choose from already in LTM.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really interested in CV lenses right now. I already have a ton of Nikon lenses, and would use the 17mm on my FM and FE as well. The 15mm and the 21mm do look interesting, however, and for $400-$460 for either one with finder, would be about the same as buying a Nikon-mount lens, viewfinder and adapter. The only real plus to a Nikon is a 20/2.8 would make it more hand-holdable at night with fast film.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try a Russar first - that's what I did. And then I got a CV...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Russar costs 700 if I am not wrong .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob, if you have the lenses in F mount that you want to use, the adapter you linked to seems like a good bet.

If you don't have the lenses and can live with what's around in T-mount, there are female T-to-male LTM adapters. I have a Vivitar (TA-11) and a nameless. I found the TA-11 on eBay, the nameless was at the front of a string of mainly ELNY LTM tubes at a camera show. Both adapters preserve infinity focus and allow guess focusing with the lens' own distance scale.

Happy hunting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It might be worth mentioning you won't get Rangefinder focusing with this adapter. Nikon lenses don't have a focusing cam obviously so no adapter will give you that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    USED Voigtlander15/4.5 Black Screw Mt with Viewfinder Mint
    $399
    With that pair, not only will you not need an adapter, you will be able to focus and frame also
    Listed on Cameraquest.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the CameraQuest Website. The author has information on adapters that can be most useful.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your comments.

I hadn't checked the price on a Russar lately. Jeeze, I didn't think anyone would spend $700 on a FSU lens . C'est la vie.

Seems like $400 could get me a CV lens (either 15mm or 21mm) with finder, but the only downside is they would only work on my rangefinder. Not that its necessarily a bad thing, as the thing seems like it would be best for an UWA lens. I think a chrome lens would look best on the Leica, what do you think?

I've seen some reports on the adapter maker I posted the link to, and everyone says good things about him. I'll have to sleep on the decision of the adapter/lens/viewfinder or the CV lens.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    It might be worth mentioning you won't get Rangefinder focusing with this adapter. Nikon lenses don't have a focusing cam obviously so no adapter will give you that.
    I'm talking about a 17mm/3.8 lens. The DOF wide open is from 4.5 feet to infinity. At f/11, it's from 1.5 feet to infinity, and f/22 it's 0.75 feet to infinity. I think I can handle scale focusing, hehe. I know what you are talking about, you know what you're talking about, but I'm sure plenty of other people in the world won't, so for the archive's sake, thanks for your comment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin