Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,718   Posts: 1,483,116   Online: 1088

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Front lens cleaning marks...

On my desk there is lens that is critically ill, a non-AI Nikkor 1.4/50mm. This is not an expensive lens these days, but I fell pity with it.

It suffers from cleaning marks, and it's somewhat blotchy. It does not look so bad, but there is a problem, and it does affect contrast on the images.

I know this can't be fixed, but are there any dirty tricks to make it work better? What is the best way to clean the front lens if a first try with a lenspen fails to remove the 'blotchyness'?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a junk lens with frozen focus or damaged aperture blades and swap the front and rear elements. In my opinion that is the best fix. Re-coating is never a financially sound option and more cleaning can just make it worse.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Check KEH "AS IS" bin to see if you can find an inoperative lens for $5 n use the front element?

There is a little trick we use on scratched lenses.. blackening. If the scratches are deep enough just wipe some blackening over the lens surface n wipe it clean leaving the blackening in the scratches, they won't defract as much as an open scratch will n not show in your pics either.

I've never tried it on cleaning marks but worth a try since you have noting to lose.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Paul, what kind of blackening do you use?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a flat black enamel paint.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin