Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,689   Online: 725

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    What would be your suggestion for a relatively young person who loves the older equipment and would like to learn to work on it? It's never going to be a profitable venture but someone needs to learn or we're going to end up with a large quantity of paper weights.
    Being also a graduate of the National Camera Course, I would recommend finding these course materials as a starting off point, especially if you're focusing on older equipment. Then you have other books out there such as Ed Romney's and Thomas Tomosy's. I wish I had kept my Nat Cam materials but they went when I sold my shop in 1988. Since that time, I only work on motion picture cameras.

Cheers,
    Jean-Louis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    I've been looking and so far have just come up with CFi and later lenses. I mostly have older C lenses which need the repairs.
    I would have a Hasselblad trained technician do it. Since they don't manufacture parts any more for C lenses, the can only repair them until they run out of parts inventory. So I'd do it soon.
    Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't think it's hard to copy the hassy parts when hassy should stop making them, it's not rocket science. The Computer guided machines only need a cad drawing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a question of cost. Anything can be made.

I recently needed a small screw for my lathe. The quote from the manufacturer for a single piece was $480.00.

Machines cost money, and so do the people who program them and run them.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't heard of anyone losing a C lens due to a lack of parts.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    I don't know. It's hard to find young people interested in doing anything constructive.

Obviously you need someone with good mechanical aptitude. That's a scarcity in the computer age.

- Leigh
    Funny you mention this, I'm 23 and grew up working on cars with my uncle and feel I have a good grasp of mechanics...The guy who used to rent the current office I'm in was/is a camera and clock repairmen and joked about selling me his old repair tools since he no longer wants to do that anymore. I've been thinking about it somewhat seriously because I feel I am pretty good when it comes to these delicate tasks. Where does one go to learn these things? Is that camera school still open?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Is that camera school still open?
    Nope, long gone. I was the last graduate before they went bankrupt, many years ago. I got a letter from the Dean acknowledging my completion of the course, but never did get a diploma.

Trade schools in general took a real hit in the early 1980s when the GI bill from Vietnam ran out.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Understood. I've always figured the only way to get into such a business would be to work directly with someone who already knew the work. I currently work IT, but would much prefer something more individual and physical. Virtual machines take a toll on your sense of accomplishment and work.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm a engineer, concentrating on data comm and embedded control systems rather than IT.

It's discouraging to look back on a career and realize that all the neat things you designed are obsolete and filling up dumpsters.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Natcam.net still has the manuals and parts listed on their site. =@)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin