Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,633   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad Lens Repair

I'm wondering if anyone knows a source for Hasselblad repair manuals. There is one I've found which seems to be someones home made one. While it might be good I'd prefer to have a factory manual

Basically I often have lenses which need repairs and after awhile it gets very expensive to have the shops do all the work. That and most of the guys working on the old stuff are getting a bit old themselves and I don't think it would hurt for some of the next generation to start learning the trade before we're stuck with a bunch of broken gear and no one's around who knows how to fix it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    if you search for hasseblad repair manual there are several sources.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3005374/Ha...-manual-repair

http://www.opweb.de/manufacturer.php...rer=Hasselblad

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been looking and so far have just come up with CFi and later lenses. I mostly have older C lenses which need the repairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    have you yet repaired other Compur shutters? If not, then I recommend beginning with easier systems. A Hasselblad Lens is not so easy to repair.

Without any training, the probability for destroying the lens is very high.

If you are really sure that you want to repair your lenses by yourself, than I can give you a manual. I just have to search it.

Greetings,
    Stephan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan K. View Post
    Without any training, the probability for destroying the lens is very high.
    Yep, what he said.

I repair Hasselblad lenses, and I can assure you it's not something for the DIYer.

For the lens to work properly there are internal adjustments that must be set with proper gauges and tools. I have all of them and know how to use them, but you don't.

To buy them, if you could find them, would cost many thousands of $$$. The shutter timing gauge alone cost over $5,000. Even if you have a fat wallet, you still wouldn't know how to use them. The instructions are quite terse and cryptic, and would not likely be included with any used items.

Compur published excellent manuals for their shutters, but they're quite hard to find. I have a full set.
    BTW, the originals were printed in color. That's very important since all the call-outs and references were identified by color.
    You can find B&W copies on the web, but they're pretty useless since you can't determine which areas are being discussed.

Send it to David Odess.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 09-05-2011 at 05:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: formatting and clarifications
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I completely understand that the process of repairing a Hasselblad lens is a difficult undertaking. I currently send lenses out to another quality Hassy repair guy on the west coast but with the prices of lenses, especially the older C lenses being what they are it's reaching a point where it doesn't even make sense to have a repair man do the required work. A 150mm C Chrome sells for 200$ about what an overhaul will cost. If it were just my personal lenses which I was having repaired that would be one thing but I'm sending the repair guy ten lenses a month for my retail business and it starts to add up fast.

As I've mentioned, I'm not trying to be completely cheap but at some point there's not going to be anyone who knows how to work on the older gear and there's still going to be people who want to use it.

Leigh are you a repair guy yourself or how did you come across all this specialized equipment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Leigh are you a repair guy yourself or how did you come across all this specialized equipment?
    Yes. I've repaired Hasselblads, Nikons, and Compur shutters for many years. I graduated from the National Camera repair course in Denver back in the 1970s. I no longer do much due to eyesight problems, although I still repair my own stuff.

I lucked out on the equipment. Some years ago I bought a complete repair shop on the death of its owner. It was a Hasselblad warranty shop, so I got about $20k worth of jigs and gauges, and a large inventory of parts.

Regarding your lens repair needs...
    There's no way in the world I would recommend you do repair work for others. I don't even recommend doing it for yourself. When you figure in warranty costs, and the fact you have no parts, tools, instruments, etc., you could quickly bankrupt yourself.

For that volume your repair guy should be giving your about a 15% discount. Take that as found money, and write your time off as advertising cost and customer good-will. It does bring folks into your store.

As long as these cameras are in use, there will be proficient repair people to take care of them. I'm also involved in antique radios, from the 1920's, and you can still get them repaired although parts have not been available for many decades.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 09-05-2011 at 09:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What would be your suggestion for a relatively young person who loves the older equipment and would like to learn to work on it? It's never going to be a profitable venture but someone needs to learn or we're going to end up with a large quantity of paper weights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know. It's hard to find young people interested in doing anything constructive.

Obviously you need someone with good mechanical aptitude. That's a scarcity in the computer age.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still use all C lenses and like them enough to just pay what they need but I can sympathize with you Illumi.

My guess is it will turn into even more of a niche item than they already are with repair prices reflecting that.

Even repop handlebars (non chromed) that I need for my 47 Indian Chief are close to 500 bills and NOS stuff is crazy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin