Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,861   Posts: 1,583,172   Online: 730

Shooter
    Medium Format

Fuji GA645zi - How Important Is The Internal Viewfinder Display?

I picked up a used Fujifilm GA645zi, but am dismayed to find out that the internal viewfinder display is not entirely in working order. The frame and parallax correction lines are there and appear to be working fine, but the information display that should appear to either side does not seem to be working. (This is the part of the viewfinder that shows the approximate focus point, exposure information and such.)

First question: If the camera is working properly otherwise - exposure/autofocus is correct, etc. How important is it to have the internal viewfinder display in working order?

I know that the display is how you can check to see if the focus point is set approximately correct, and there is a warning for over/under exposure, but the latter can be checked from the rear digital display and my understanding is that the former is really just an approximation anyway. So, is this stuff vital, or just convenient?

Second question: If I do want to repair the internal display, anyone have an idea of where I should send it? Apparently Fujifilm USA no longer supports/repairs this line of cameras and I my (limited) search did not turn up an independent source for parts.

I was completely jazzed for this camera. Should I stay jazzed or try to get the seller to take it back?
    Last edited by shutterpuppy; 09-01-2011 at 01:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Okay - bump, and third question:

Does anyone know if all the GA645zi's have the internal viewfinder display? I've been shooting a couple of rolls through it to test, and it really doesn't seem like there would be room to either side of the viewfinder for the information to display. Maybe I am either reading the manual wrong or the manual I have is actually a mismatch with a new/older version of the camera?

Feeling very stupid and confused here. Help, please.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mine has a display to the right that shows focus distance. On the left it shows aperture and shutter speed.

I don't pay much attention to either though unless I'm wondering if there's enough light for a hand-held shot.

If the camera is otherwise working I don't think it would be much of a handicap to not have this info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does seem to me handy to view aperture, shutter speed, focal distance (which flashes if you are too close--not shown on the back panel) and the unquantified exposure compensation--if you have dialled one up--(which is shown on the rear panel).

I'd be disappointed, the only manual that I am aware of describes all these displays in the viewfinder.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would definitely send it back unless you got it really cheap. Say around $200. You do know that the display will not come on until you first push the shutter button down halfway. Then it will time out if you release the button. If you ever want to use manual exposure you will need the internal display. I normally use aperture preferred and like to use the display to make sure the shutter speed isn't too slow. Taking your eye away to check the back would be a PITA. If you only use program mode you may be OK. Why start with a broken camera. You might check Camera Wiz for Fuji repairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone for the help and information. The camera was a good deal if working correctly, but not with the viewfinder problem. I have sent a message to the seller letting him know I am sending the camera back for a refund. This is a FleaBay purchase with a seller that I have not dealt with before, so hopefully he will live up to the return policy stated in the auction.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin