Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,162   Online: 709

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My Newton New-Vue VC3 has a steel thread insert in otherwise aluminum base. If that got messed up, there is room for a nut or wing-nut if I had to improvise. Any chance you could do the same?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spleenrippa View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I went to mount my Newton Vue/Brand 17 (4x5) ...
    Wow -- I haven't heard of Brand 17 in years. I have one that I bought from a guy in the late '70s. As I recall, I paid $40 for the camera, lens, a few holders, and most of a box of film. It was my introduction to large format. I still have the thing though I haven't used it since about '82. After seeing your post I dug mine out to look at it. The shutter still seems to fire at all speeds but the bellows is pretty much petrified.

I don't really have anything to add to the repair suggestions already offered. I just wanted to thank you for a blast from the past.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey if that picture is what you have then all you need to do is get another 3/8 to 1/4" insert.

In fact I like the idea of taping a 3/8th thread then using one of those inserts so it can be more versatile. Good call on that one.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    If it looks like the image which I have hopefully attached and has a couple of slots for a screwdriver to fit, then it is very likely an insert and you just need to get another one. I assume that you are in the US, in which case someone near you probably has one they could send you. I am in the UK. If you are closer to me, I could send you one.

Steve.
    Ah, I see... Unfortunately, mine appears nothing like that
    I've taken a proper look now, and it appears as though someone didn't like the original 3/8 hole, and instead of using a proper insert, used a (looks like brass) helicoil to reduce the size to 1/4.... If you shine a light in, you can see the that threads end halfway up the original tripod socket.
    At this point, I think I will have to epoxy on the quick release plate in order to use the camera without major surgery.
    Anyone have a spare Brand 17 or field cam they wanna sell me?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Replace the insert? If it is a helicoil or other brand replacement, they have a removal tool, an auto shop can do it for ya? What can they charge... $10?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You should be able to drill out the insert quite easily if it is brass. Start with a drill just slightly larger than the hole and increase in diameter - but don't go bigger than 1/4!"

Another method would be to superglue a 1/4" bolt into the thread then unscrew it from the 3/8" thread.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin