Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,877   Online: 938

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Stripped Tripod Socket Help

Hi Guys,
    I went to mount my Newton Vue/Brand 17 (4x5) to my tripod the other day and the ancient (and already slightly mangled) tripod socket stripped right out. I chased the threads (1/4 20) but they were too far gone for it to help

The camera is an all metal affair, so I'm thinking I could just JB Weld (or epoxy) a spare quick release plate right to it.
    Any thoughts or advice?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could it be re-tapped to the 3/8"-16tpi BSW which is common in Europe for larger cameras. If so you can get a quick release to fit, or adaptors are very cheap and easily availabe if you can only use 1/4" mount.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, I suppose it could be drilled a few times to enlarge the hole and then tapped for 3/8... I'm not very handy, though- was hoping to avoid that avenue

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not familiar with your camera but I have seen 4x5's that have a removable (with a spanner wrench) tripod sockets. Check to see if yours has two slots. If so you may be able to remove it and replace it preferably with a 3/8 or another 1/4.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Helicoil inserts. Automotive stores selll a variety of inserts that are meant just for this application. Helicoil is one brand. It comes with a drill bit and the threading tool an easy DIY project.

If you have a machine shop in your area, they can do the work for you at a reasonable cost if you can't do it yourself.

Gluing the quick release plate to the bottom of your camera is anopther posability but you are taking a chance of it letting go one day when you least expect it. I'd screw the quick release plate on using small self taping screws so I'd be sure it;s there to stay.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Doggonit. Paul stole the Parts Guy's suggestion. Just make sure you get the short inserts if you go with the helicoil idea (if all metal a good idea). You might have to cut and file down the insert a bit once installed as it will probably still be a bit too long and might interfere with a flush mount on your tripod.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it were me, I'd use a Timsert or keylocking insert instead of a helicoil, which work best in blind holes. EZ-Lok is one brand name that is readily available. I use Timserts anytime there are load bearing threads in aluminum. Any better automotive machine shop will have them in stock and often for not very much money you can get them to redrill, tap and install one for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ian's suggestion seems to be the best to me. Many old cameras have a 3/8" BSW thread in the body with an insert reducing it to 1/4" BSW. These inserts can be bought from camera stores or taken from an old camera.

If you're going to use an insert though, get one for photographic equipment use with Whitworth threads rather than a general use one with UNC threads

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hmm, many things to ponder- thanks all.
    After taking another look, it does appear as though the 1/4" hole is an insert- there is also a screw in the top of the hole, right underneath the bellows. I will have to play around a bit and see what I can come up with.... Not like I can really make the camera any more useless than it is right now

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If it looks like the image which I have hopefully attached and has a couple of slots for a screwdriver to fit, then it is very likely an insert and you just need to get another one. I assume that you are in the US, in which case someone near you probably has one they could send you. I am in the UK. If you are closer to me, I could send you one.

Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0138.jpg  
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin