Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 880

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon 55mm f/2.8 Ais Slop

I have one of these macro lenses and when focused at infinity the image will shift slightly if you move the focus back and forth. I'm wondering if someone else with one of these could check theirs and post the results. I've relubed all the helicals and checked the tension on the turn stops and everything looks good. There are four helicals in this lens compared to the normal two surfaces in most other lenses so I'm wondering if this is just an inherent issue.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Nikkor 50/2 Ai does the same. That said,it is the sharpest lens of its focal length I own,including the 55/2.8.
    Since the results,on film,are sublime, I have decided to live with it. But no,I don't think it is common for that lens.
    Most complaints involve oily blades in the diaphragm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At that magnification any "slop" will be esagerated in the viewfinder.
    Its the old brass and metal lens, and rest assured compared to the "new and improved" plasitc macros from Nikon it is rock solid.
    I agree to that my 55 is THE SHARPEST Nikkor I own... or have ever used.
    The 300mm f2.8 and 105 1.8 and 80-200 f 2.8 come in close seconds.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin