Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,507   Online: 789

Shooter
    Multi Format

Building a 120 rollfilm 6x8 or 6x9 view camera

I've been vaguely thinking of building a 4x5 view camera for some time, but since I don't have a 4x5 enlarger but I do have a B23C II capable up to 6x9, I just began to wonder about building a 6x8 or 6x9 view camera.

I'm very handy with my hands but I have no experience building anything beyond a pinhole camera (which worked nicely). I would like to design one with full back movements in a package suitable for field use, yaw-free if I can make it (but probably not). I've not seen or held a Shen-Hao, but if I were to buy 4x5 I think that would be my pick; thus I'm tempted to use that as the model. I don't think they are yaw-free but they do have back movements and are field cameras.

I have two basic questions at this point:

1) What 6x8 / 6x9 120 roll film backs would be best to fit to such a camera? I'm thinking the parameters would be ease of building a mating part and ease of use (putting on/off, winding film, dark slide).

2) Materials: I can do very fine work with wood, but I anticipate that a number of parts would best be in metal. I think that I could handle fabricating some small metal parts.

Thoughts? Or is this a fool's errand and I should just save up for a nice Shen-Hao and patiently wait for a used 4x5 enlarger to pop up at a price I can afford (not many available in this area)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am guessing you have a few long cold winter nights to spend up north ahead of you, right?

Have a look around at this page, there are some drawings and example of various LF cameras here:
    http://home.online.no/~gjon/

Maybe that'll help a bit along the way to figure out if it is worth the effort.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO the easiest and cheapest back would be a 2x3 Graflex Spring Back (not a Graflok). Then use a 620 Adapt-a-roll holder (with 120 film) with the Spring back. I like the Adapt-a-roll better than the Graflok roll backs because it's easier and quick to swap between Ground glass focusing and the roll film holder unlike a Graflok. Not to mention 2x3 Spring backs are dirt cheap because everyone wants to replace them with Grafloks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Build the 4x5" and us a 6x9cm back. Bender kit is $329 but I don't know if the site is still active. You should be able to pick up a used 4x5 monorail for $100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Jerevan. That link was a very fruitful source of ideas and experience and information. Thanks too, ic-racer, domaz.

I have an interest (unexplored) in making portraits on 6x8 sized B&W negative, and stereo 3D photography. I'm thinking about the possibilities of building a pair of little view cameras (one at a time!) to use side by side for stereo. Lots of constraints, too many, so I'll have to scale back, perhaps on some movements, especially if I want them to fit closely together for stereo.

Still wondering about the rollfilm back. Beginning to wonder if I should build my own back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mebbeyaorta(Texasism) consider building the 4x5 for the future, and in the meantime use a rollfilm back for 6x7 or larger on it until you get the 4x5 enlarger. Building your own camera is a great way to pass time and kick the boredom of those long cold nights.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Always thought an acra-swiss 6x9 view was cool.
    Get a baby graphic... I build a sailboat... sometime wish I had just bought one and saved myself from all the cuts and bruises and epoxy stuck in my hair.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

primitive photography book

I recently purchased a book called Primitive Photography by Alan Greene . It lays out plans for not only building your own camera but lenses and backs as well. These are quite basic box cameras (circa 1850's) with very little movements. It's quite a good book.

david

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before you consider building a rollfilm back, look carefully at the Mamiya Press R/F backs. They come in 6x7 & 6x9 on 120 formats -possibly 6x6 (?), are fairly common,and adapter plates are available - making it easy to interchange them in use.
    Also a sound design, with good film flatness - which can't be said of some of the raggy old Graflex designs.
    And, with the accessory ground glass back, you have the entire back end sorted.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin