Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,717   Online: 892

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'm the other way around... the EF and electronic cameras depreciate significantly over time as the electronics break down or fry or just get old and obsolete. On more manual cameras I think the value is worth the effort more, because it won't break down faster. It will last.

'Course that's just me. I like manual focus cameras. I have an AE-1P. I do agree with throwing good money after bad, though. I've reached that limit on my current defunct A-1 (it was a gamble that I lost)
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Naw, the EF is an older FD body -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_camera

Don't worry... you're not the first
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    D'oh.. lol to me EF meant Electronic Focus.. Forgot Canon used that designation!
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thisismyname09 View Post
    If your camera were an AE-1, I'd be able to give you a broken body with all of the necessary circuit boards. The shutter button on mine was sticking and it wouldn't take a picture unless you really jam the button, making it impossible to take a photo that doesn't have a massive vertical blur. I decided I'd try to take it apart and clean out whatever was making the button stick, but I didn't get very far before I couldn't take it apart any further; those things are a maze. At some point I accidentally closed the back while the rewind knob was removed, making it impossible to ever open the back again.
    If you take a look into the RW shaft opening, there's a small bit sticking into the hole.
    It's toward the left side if you're looking from the back.
    A simple "L" shaped hook put down the hole and lifted will pop the back.
    dental probe,scribe, coat hanger etc.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    If you take a look into the RW shaft opening, there's a small bit sticking into the hole.
    It's toward the left side if you're looking from the back.
    A simple "L" shaped hook put down the hole and lifted will pop the back.
    dental probe,scribe, coat hanger etc.
    Yes, very simple. Even a large paperclip, straightened and with an L formed on the end, will work.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would shop around and find a reputable tech that can get it back into service. The old adage holds true even with cameras, "stick with the evil you know". You might find a camera that works but you take a chance that it wil develop the same problem down the road. If you fix what you have then you know it's good and a good tech will warranty his work. The AE-1/p's are good cameras, I had the 1 back twenty-five years ago when my wife and I were dating, in fact, her favorite photo of us was taken with that camera and sits in a place of prominence in our home. Alas, the camera is long gone replaced by so many over the years that it is just a blur. I have repaired many a camera and had just as many sent off for repairs all for the sake of keeping them in use, it would be a shame to have another good camera end up in a landfill.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    D'oh.. lol to me EF meant Electronic Focus.. Forgot Canon used that designation!
    EF was Electronic F because it had a hybrid electro/mechanical Copal Square shutter when at that time the Canon F1 had a purely mechanical shutter.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Electronic reFlex (SLR).
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin