Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,207   Online: 850

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

How major is a circuit board replacement on Canon A-1?

I had my A-1 checked out by one place, they said it needed a full CLA, and I think from the talk that included replacing any circuit boards that needed it, but this was rather pricey overall.

I took it to another place and they said it was most likely the circuit boards, and suggested it wasn't worth the effort to find replacement parts.

So, how hard is it to find good working (i.e. not take a gamble by canibalizing another camera and have IT fail from old age too) circuit boards for a Canon A-1?

Everything else on the camera is almost pristine. Great finish, great looks, works sweet, silent shutter, clean internals... Taking off the bottom plate and manually tripping the shutter works, and it follows the light meter and shutter speed settings, etc... There's just a faint electronic noise and the meter LEDs go dark when you press the shutter button.

What's an average (ballpark please) that replacing the upper housing circuits might cost? Can I save a chunk of change avoiding a full CLA if I only need this part?

I kid you not, almost everything on this A-1 body is primo condition. Only down sides are the seals have started going and the button won't trip the shutter. If I can fix it without losing any more, that's good. If I'm sinking money into a failing venture, I'll cut bait and find a working model for less than I've already spent on this.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The circuitry in a camera such as the A-1 is not on 'boards' in the traditional sense, it's on flexible printed circuits.

These snake around all through the camera. It's been many years since I worked on an A-1, but I seem to remember there is more than one such.

Replacement involves an almost total disassembly of the camera.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably easier to get another A-1! Lots out there...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Probably easier to get another A-1! Lots out there...
    I agree. Look up KEH.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Alrighty then. Thanks, all. If it were some clunker I wouldn't have held on for so long, but the rest was in such good condition... Oh well!

I'm familiar passingly with KEH, but their prices are too high for me. I'll just keep an eye out on ebay.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least with KEH you'll get a two week return.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If your camera were an AE-1, I'd be able to give you a broken body with all of the necessary circuit boards. The shutter button on mine was sticking and it wouldn't take a picture unless you really jam the button, making it impossible to take a photo that doesn't have a massive vertical blur. I decided I'd try to take it apart and clean out whatever was making the button stick, but I didn't get very far before I couldn't take it apart any further; those things are a maze. At some point I accidentally closed the back while the rewind knob was removed, making it impossible to ever open the back again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Someone like John Titterington would be able to repair it I suspect. And if I had to guess I'd say it might cost $100. But, you're left with a camera in known working condition that is as fresh as can be, you've saved a camera from obsolecence and you've helped out a repair tech who is of a dying breed that we might not have access to in the next 25-50 years. This is the best time to repair these cameras... it might not be possible in the future.

My 2¢
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm
    thisismyname, you ever think about can-opener-ing the back door? Those are easily replaced on the fly and e-bay has tons.

holmburgers, very good point. But also times are tight for us folks doing the buying, too. Bad economy and all that. Budgets must he adhered to and what-not. So it's that eternal balance of "what's available now vs what's available when I have the funds" hehehehe
    -Markster

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    holmburgers, very good point. But also times are tight for us folks doing the buying, too. Bad economy and all that. Budgets must he adhered to and what-not. So it's that eternal balance of "what's available now vs what's available when I have the funds" hehehehe
    I hear ya.. and I'm speaking optimistically.

It can be a a case of 'good money after bad' though. I feel like paying for a good repair puts money in the right places (from an economic viewpoint). However, with an A-1 it's probably less practical; I felt good about repairing my EF but probably wouldn't spend more than $30 on my AE-1P.

Best 'a' luck!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin