Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,436   Online: 816

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Brass Lens Corrosion

I found a Darlot Paris Petzval at my local antique shop (score!) but the thing is in pretty poor condition. The glass actually looks very good except for separation on the front element which is an easy fix if I could get the thing out. It looks like the lens was either damp or in water for some time and there's white crusty stuff inside the barrel and I'd imagine it's on the threads too. The rear element threaded out fine but the front is still stuck.

I've tried using PB blaster, a penetrating oil for several hours and that's not getting me anywhere. Any suggestions on what would break these things apart would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try some heat (put in the sun for a few hours) and if that doesn't work freeze it to shrink the metal, that may free it.

Be sure to use a strap wrench so it applies even preasure so the soft brass doesn't deform.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    Be sure to use a strap wrench so it applies even preasure so the soft brass doesn't deform.
    Careful! A strapwrench used gently is good, but it doesn't apply even pressure. I learned the hard way years ago. You're putting a lot of downward pressure under the handle.

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some carefully applied heat to the threaded area, then the addition of penetrating oil while hot, should help break the corrosion free and allow the lens to be taken apart.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ended up cutting two slots in the retaining rings to get a spanner in but that still wouldn't do it even with heat so I ended up denting the retaining rings in with a pair of pliers and pulling them that way. There was about 1inch of threads, the penetrating oil had saturated all the way through but the brass is so soft that it was just flexing and jamming when I tried to unscrew it. Got the elements out, and working on recementing the front one. Should have a working lens by tonight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it works!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Wooooooo hooooooo!!! Congrats!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin