Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,524   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What glue for light seals?

Everything says pliobond.

We don't have that in the shop here in Australia. I assume that is a brand.

What type of glue is pliobond? I will need an alternative, I want to go get it at the shop and not have to wait for something online.

It sounds like it is rubber cement.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have a hobby/craft store they should have glue in the fabric department. You want to stay away from strong adhesives like super glue, gorilla glue or even model glue. Stick with (pun) hobby glue that will not harden but at the same time not remain tacky/sticky. Plio-bond is a good glue for light seals, I use it with black yarn in the door groves and black felt for the strip at the hinge and on some cameras, the latch. You should also be able to find it at a well stocked hunting/fishing shop. You will want to let the camera air out before you close it up so that you don't inadvertently glue your door shut and to let the fumes evaporate.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Black silicon, this they use in aluminum cavities, you can find and small units in work shop. I use one in my Minox for light seals with perfect result, only stay open for 1-2 days for complete dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need to glue the seals that go into grooves. Just make sure they are wide enough to stay in place. I have replaced seals on about ten camers and I gave up glue after the first one. Never had a problem. Try to find some self-adhesive foam for the hinge and latch. In some cameras the space around the hinge is so tight that it's better to use thin felt, also available with self-adhesive backing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found self-adhesive foam.. but its white not black. Argh. Will look in the day time perhaps in the city.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Use the thin double sided tape on foam seals, apply it to the sheet before you cut it. We use to use contact cement but it's a PIA to do without making a mess if you aren't experianced at it.

Most seals are self stick these days anyway.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrs View Post
    You don't need to glue the seals that go into grooves. Just make sure they are wide enough to stay in place. I have replaced seals on about ten camers and I gave up glue after the first one. Never had a problem. Try to find some self-adhesive foam for the hinge and latch. In some cameras the space around the hinge is so tight that it's better to use thin felt, also available with self-adhesive backing.
    X2

Alternatives to Pliobond, for the very few places where glue might be needed on seals -- rubber cement and contact cement (but don't coat and dry because that's WAY too much sticking power for seals -- just apply tiny dabs and press the seal material down.)

Shooter
    35mm
    NO silicon, NO epoxy, NO crazy glue (cyanoacrylate). You "should" be using a glue that remains flexible and can be taken out in the future if needed. I have received OMs in for overhaul where the customer thought he was doing me a favor by replacing the slot foam in advance using with silicon glue. A horrible mess. I leave the foam as is with no warranty. Use a brown rubber cement like Pliobond or Hobsco's "Goo", distributed by Walthers. John

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I found self-adhesive foam.. but its white not black. Argh. Will look in the day time perhaps in the city.
    No clue what's available in OZ but craft/art stores tend to carry thin adhesive-backed foam and felt. It's all I use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pliobond = Contact cement.
    If you use it by applying it to a single surface, it is removable. A toothpick or sewing needle to apply it into the groove.

Or get a kit from Jon Goodman, it's self-adhesive.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin