Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,204   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post

Then there was some funky type (Kodak brand, maybe?) that would wind it all in ahead of time, and then REWIND as you took shots, thus preventing accidental exposure if you opened the back somehow (any shots would be in the canister at that time)... Some really odd setups we've had to deal with, no?
    That would be some of the Canon AF SLRs - the Rebel 2000 for instance.

I actually prefer it that way - except of course in relation to manual rewind.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The eos 1n & 1V (maybe the 3) has an option to auto rewind immediately after the last shot or for you to initiate it after you have stuck it under your coat or after the gig.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All the inbuilt ones on the newer cameras like the F4,5 etc. seem much quieter. I had an MD11 for my FM2, god, what an awful noise that made! The "Blad ELM also makes a bit of a racket, kind of like an SX70 on steroids.
    Come to think of it, the motor drive in my camera phone makes a fair bit of noise too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ^ The one for the RZ sounds like a coffee grinder.

Shooter
    35mm
    lol! Good for those morning shoots, no?

Reminds me of the coffee grinder winchester/sharps/whatever!
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Mamiya 645 AFD is like a blender when it winds. I know the Nikon F6 has the option to manually wind if you want, but it has a slower, and much quieter rewind (Cs). It really ain't that bad.

Shooter
    35mm
    At one time a motor drive was something of a status symbol -- "Look, Ma, I'm a pro. I got a motor drive and everything!"

So I don't think many cared about the noise much. In fact, they liked to show off the sound.

Things are a bit different now.

But, anyway -- Canon A-series motors always seemed pretty loud and squeaky to me (in addition to shutter squeak).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the MA winder on my A1 and it is quiet. Also purchased a winder for my AE1 P and it was still in the original packaging and it is VERY quiet. Not bad for $10 I thought

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getting bad looks from TV/Radio guys at a press conference/new event: A good friend of mine had a steel trap for ppl. He saw a TV/Radio guy he didnt like he got close to their audio pick-up mic and pulled out a 500cm and took about 2 well timed shots with the nice loud mirror slap coming right at precisely the right...or wrong moment. He wasn't one to care much what kind of looks ppl shot him....

My F5s have that "quiet" mode on the dial and you get a slight delay between the mirror slap and the film advance. It makes a difference! I love it during weddings!
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    I have the MA winder on my A1 and it is quiet. Also purchased a winder for my AE1 P and it was still in the original packaging and it is VERY quiet. Not bad for $10 I thought
    That's some feat! Mine is decidedly the opposite. I wonder if there was a certain batch that is quiet, or if it's just the age of the motor/electronics that makes it loud (and some age worse while others age better?)...
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin