Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,129   Online: 986

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Motor drives, then and now -- any quieter?

I may have asked a question or two about my A1 Power Winder (Canon) before about the noise, but a thought made me wonder...

Are power winders any quieter now (or, recently before digi killed them off? ) than they were in the 80s?

My power winder a1 has a definite noise about it. I asked once upon a time if it would be possible to muffle this, and the answer was "not really" -- but now I wonder in a totally "what-if" hypothetical scenario, what if you can pull out the servo motor and put one of the exact same power in its place?

Would it be any quieter with modern technology, or is this hypothetical setup just as noisy because it's the gears and all the other stuff making the noise?
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    I may have asked a question or two about my A1 Power Winder (Canon) before about the noise, but a thought made me wonder...

Are power winders any quieter now (or, recently before digi killed them off? ) than they were in the 80s?

My power winder a1 has a definite noise about it. I asked once upon a time if it would be possible to muffle this, and the answer was "not really" -- but now I wonder in a totally "what-if" hypothetical scenario, what if you can pull out the servo motor and put one of the exact same power in its place?

Would it be any quieter with modern technology, or is this hypothetical setup just as noisy because it's the gears and all the other stuff making the noise?
    Relative to the racket produced by my Nikon MD-4/MD-12 drives, my 801s and N90s bodies and F100 are quiet. Different motors, gear trains, shutters? No clue.

The winder on my Mamiya 645 Super beats them all for dB level.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ahhh... So theoretically it's possible, but practically may be another matter.

Good to know. If I ever become the Tony Stark of cameras I'll be sure to gut one and rebuild it!
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markster View Post
    Ahhh... So theoretically it's possible, but practically may be another matter.

Good to know. If I ever become the Tony Stark of cameras I'll be sure to gut one and rebuild it!
    If you're as soaked as Downey, you'll probably never hear the difference.

Funny how Foley artists in film still use the sound of something like a Nikon MD-4 for DSLRs. The only noise they do make comes from a flapping mirror without the whining of film transport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never had a problem with noise with my motor drive/ power winder, my ear levels were never that great.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    The canon A1 power winder is almost as loud as the "Chir-ROOP" of a canon shutter squeak, for example. I got my camera SLAed and now if I use the drive it's loud again. If I go without it's much quieter.
    -Markster

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Winner must be the rewind on the EOS-1, used to dread it going off during press conferences. Used to get a few nasty looks from TV and radio..

Shooter
    35mm
    LOL! I hated cameras with auto rewind! Truth be told I never owned one but I know I handled one a few times. Really annoyed!

Then there was some funky type (Kodak brand, maybe?) that would wind it all in ahead of time, and then REWIND as you took shots, thus preventing accidental exposure if you opened the back somehow (any shots would be in the canister at that time)... Some really odd setups we've had to deal with, no?
    -Markster

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think it's really quieter! Compare the F3+MD-4 and F5 they are about the same peak level of noise. The slower motor drive (like my motor drive for the Minolta XD-11) has the whirring noise. It seems more noisy but I am not sure.
    New camera with built in motor drive has separate motors for shutter charging (cocking) and film advance so there are fewer gears.
    I never care for a quiet motor driven camera any way. If I need to be silent a motor driven camera isn't what I choose to use. For a film camera a rangefinder with leaf shutter would be quiet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The motor drive on my Bronica ETRS is louder than the shutter/mirror and if the shutter/mirror does not get your attention, the drive will. There are 2 later versions, much smaller and lighter but, I've never tried either so do not know if quieter. My first version loaded with the batteries adds enough heft that it definitely will make holding the camera very steady as it takes a bit of inertia to get it to move.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin