Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 671

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    And if the EPA can get to the noxious politicians, we will not have to worry about the politicians anymore.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The EPA has become just another arm of the government that can enforce policy without congressional oversight and without judicial review. What other branch of government has such broad authority to confiscate housing, shut down business, and administer fines without due process of law?

The Federal government really has no authority to create such an agency. Environmental regulations should be done at a state level, and, for example, should California decide that a Pennsylvania oil refinery is causing a problem in California, the matter should be taken up in federal courts.

Having said that, if L.A. county wants to ban Naptha, that is their business. If they think a few people with Zippo lighters are going to poison the city let them waste their money on such legislation and enforcement.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Without the EPA we would all be dead from industrial pollutants.

Having lived in Southern California since the early 1950's I can assure you there has been a tremendous impact from Environmental Regulations.

There were many days back then when kids couldn't even go outside to play and you couldn't even see whole mountains just 5 miles in front of you.

Thank God, Americans had the courage and foresight to create an Environmental Protection Agency.

If you want to live in polluted filth and squalor, there are plenty of countries waiting to accept you.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Was that not mostly from automobile exhaust and not industrial pollution?

PE

Shooter
    127 Format
    Lots of industrial pollution as well. Refineries, furniture factories, auto assembly plants. Backyard burning too. As kids everyone had an incinerator in their backyards for burning leaves, trash and papers.

I don't think anyone under 35 has a clue of what it was like.

Heck, Lake Erie caught fire.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, it was the Cuyahoga River which empties into the lake. Big motivation for the Clean Water Act.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    Update -

I was in an art supply store today (in California) and, lo and behold, there was naptha back on the shelf. An employee told me that California art supply stores can now legally sell naptha again due to pressure brought to bear on legislators by art supply retailer lobby group. Evidently, banning it created a hardship as it is a major part of their business as well as selling other types of thinners so they appealed and got permission to sell it in quantities up to one liter I think. Evidently this only applies to art supply stores. So, that's where Californians can buy it. For now, anyway.

Actually in California the AQMD has much tighter rules than the EPA on air quality. The majority of Californians support the AQMD's decisions and the AQMD rarely has needed to correct a bad decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just read about the 11.1% unemployment rate in CA. Wonder if it is all fo the restrictions?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I just read about the 11.1% unemployment rate in CA. Wonder if it is all fo the restrictions?

PE
    To make the number look better the US Government decided to include the military in a state count as employed. Do you realize how many large military bases there are in California?

Also the people who have run out of unemployment benefits, those who stopped looking and those who take any courses while unemployed are not counted.

In Los Angeles County, the real number has been in the range of 18% to 22%.

Why do you think I am working in Virginia? I did not go there to work because of the climate.

Basically when the economy went down, both large and small companies could not continue to borrow money. The money flow slowed way down and businesses had to cut back. It has nothing to do with the AQMD regulations. Just the hot air coming from Congress [Progress means "going forward"; Congress means "Stop all Progress now while I drink my moldy tea."].

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Has absolutely nothing to do with the EPA. This is related to smog ordinances and has been legally in
    effect for almost twenty years. And is it a coincidence that the part of country doing the very best
    economically at the moment has the VERY tightest "green" rules anyhere, even stricter than LA,and also is highly unionized, while the "anti-rules" counties are the ones locked into the Great Depression?
    Better learn a bit more about Calif demographics before applying generalized statistics to hypothetical specifics. If you don't like the EPA, then go apply for a job flagging cropdusters on the
    ground and see how long you live.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin