Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,014   Online: 668

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

no more naptha in LA county

I went to my local hardware store to buy another can of naptha and there was none on the shelf. I asked a store employee and was told that naptha could no longer be sold in Los Angeles County until it was "reformulated" whatever that means. I tried a couple other stores and found the same thing. I did locate some Ronsonol (last can) in one local grocery store.

The hardware stores do have "mineral spirits" which the can says leaves no residue and I wonder if that is an acceptable substitute for cleaning shutters, etc. Does anyone know?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Naptha and mineral spirits aren't equal I've only used MS once and went right back to Naptha. I don't believe it evaporates anywhere near as fast as Naptha, I tippled a little bit on the bench & rather than evaporating as I expected, it laid there until I wiped it up. No sign of evaporation at all.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This will help explain, Southern Ca is banning products that are 100% VOC. http://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads...pguide0607.pdf
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Naphtha does evaporate much faster than mineral spirits. That's why it makes a good fuel for lighters and things like culinary torches. It can also be used to thin oil-based paints, when one wants the paint to dry faster.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wow really? its stuff like this... common, people have used this stuff for years.

ugh ridiculous over regulation, a burden to taxpayers and stores selling it. no one wins.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try to find Coleman Stove Fuel. WalMart usually has it in the camping section. Dries real fast. Cheap too. I just did a Ilex #5 for a friend with it. If you can't find that then a pharmacy could sell you 99% Isopropyl alcohol. Don't use the 91%.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a Saturday drive up north to farm country, where sane people live, and you should be able to buy some.

Get a few gallons, bring it back into the belly of the beast, and hoard it with your canned food and bullets. (Oh! Wait! Wrong message board.)

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suggest 'white gas' which may be what Coleman calls Stove Fuel. It's very flammable and evaporates very very fast and clean. It should be available where ever they sell MSR camp stoves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure this is not related to trying to crack down on the production of methamphetamine?

If it was all VOC's how will the ladies learn to live without nail polish?
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just looked Naptha up on wikipedia:

"It is a broad term covering among the lightest and most volatile fractions of the liquid hydrocarbons in petroleum. Naphtha is a colorless to reddish-brown volatile aromatic liquid, very similar to gasoline."

So... how can anyone justify banning Naptha.... without banning cars?
    Steve

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin