Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,834   Online: 1158

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How to print on Ivory

I need to make some new camera/shutter manufcaturers nameplates. British wood & brass cameras/shutters used circular Ivory plates.

Via ebay I've some old bits from piano keys now I need to know how to print onto them, any Ideas ?

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Does ivory etch? (w/acid?) I am thinking along the lines of a photo-resist, then fill in the etched parts with paint.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scrimshaw then fill in with enamel paint? Take them to a shop that inscribes plates for trophies and such, say like a jeweler who does inscriptions on jewelry pieces.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I could laser etch the material then you could either leave it as it is, probably dark brown in the etched areas, or fill with paint and wipe off as is done with traditional machined engraving.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think they were completely hand engraved and than hand painted , I think factory craftsman did them. There is one Texas air pressure hand engraving machine manufacturer , they sell a laser printing paper which printed image can be transferred from transparent plastic to metal or plastic. They also sell engraving patterns for transfer to metal and than hand machine engraved.

But easiest and most stable merhod is to order laser engraving on to ivory. There are lots of laser engraving services which burns small dots and so the images on to glass to wood to metal and whatever you want. Result is excellent.

Another way is to order laser crafted hand stamps and use them and than for method 1 and 3 , coat them with clear polyurethane sprayed.

Good luck ,

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Couldn't you use photo emulsion and expose it, like they print on bottles and stuff without the screen...?

just a thought.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting replies.

I worked in the Jewellery trade for 20 years and the originals aren't etched.

Vaughan may be on track they may have been a resist, I could do that with bichromated gelatin, a negative and UV light, and then a black dye. The reverse though of the acid etch, just dye the remaining resist, I have done that commercially on a larger scale & slightly different process.

Steve's laser etch might be the simplest though - I'd hoped he'd answer

Plenty of the white stuff to experiment with

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Steve's laser etch might be the simplest though - I'd hoped he'd answer
    If you have a spare piece you could send me, I could experiment with the laser for you.

I also have some white phenolic resin sheet which might be suitable. It's 0.7mm thick, a dark brown core and a white coating on both sides. I can selectively laser etch the white away to leave the text, logos, etc. in brown. I use this to label test fixtures and manufacturing jigs at work.

If the labels you are referring to were made in sufficient quantities, it is likely that they were screen printed. This isn't very practical for small quantities as the setup time would be much greater than the production time.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll take you up on the offer Steve (will PM you).

Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    Couldn't you use photo emulsion and expose it, like they print on bottles and stuff without the screen...?

just a thought.
    I had thought of just using Photo paper and a thin coat of varnish on top. The alternative is etch-bleach which works well when emulsion is on a non prous base.

Etch Bleach is very similar to screen printing and at one time Rockland Colloids made a special photo emulsion for making screens by enargement to trans. One beauty of etch bleach is the emulsion can be used to transfer a dye to another support.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin