Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,249   Online: 988

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Functional Scratch-Built "Kammotograph"

Hello Everyone, its been a while since I last posted on apug. I finally got some time off work to tinker around over the weekend. Having read through the limited info online on Leo Kamm's "kammotgraph" (a precursor to the kinetiscope) I decided it should be easy enough to build one. After working out the math -each image being 4mm tall with 1mm pitch in between=roughly 64 images on a 4 inch photo paper disc. I used Agfa paper and developed in HC110 (I was out of dektol) As you can tell from the image (that's supposed to be a waving monkey puppet w/ a banana) the f1.4 lens I found has a limited DOF and my focus was way off! But somewhat satisfactory for the first test run. Some frames overlap due possible gear slippage. Although not exactly a kammotograph (as Mr Kamm's device moved disc horizontally as it spun to allow more images on the disc) I will most probably build a Model N. 2 that would do this to at least get 10 seconds. In total 60 frames @ ~16fps. Maybe my brother, who is a woodworker, should've helped me with this one! to watch, click on link:

http://www.rpcfilmandweb.com/kammonkey.mov

oops! I spelt it incorrectly: "kammatograph"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0745.JPG   DSCN0746.JPG   DSCN0747.JPG   kam_disco.png  
    Last edited by yurisrey; 10-20-2011 at 04:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simply put. This . . is . . awesome!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, impressive indeed.
    Keeps us posted on your progress.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Really cool stuff, man!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the comments! I forgot to mention number 2 will use a red/green color wheel similar to Kinemacolor. Anyone recommend or know of a paper film or a good off-the shelf emulsion like "liquid light" thats panchromatic?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is fantastic in the true sense of the word. If the disc is 4" in diameter, I'd buy a box of 4x5 sheet film and a circle cutter. The actual measurements of 4x5 are a little smaller, but it may work. Easier still, I'd construct the next version to take a full sheet of 4x5 film and rotate it around the center point. A faster film (TMAX400?) will let you stop down your lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately no off the shelf emulsions are panchromatic. You could experiment with making liquid light panchromatic but that'd be no small task. Or you could use an orthorchromatic film (like X-ray maybe) and use a blue and green filter, but I don't think the 2-color rendering would be nearly as good as green & red.

Having just read a book about Etienne Jules-Marey, this mechanism was quite appealing!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for the suggestions, I kinda figured as much when it came to off-the-shelf emulsions. I like the idea of using sheet film but wouldn't a drill press-type circle cutter shred it? Maybe a compass/blade contraption? i'll def try out the blue/green filter wheel since its just a matter of cutting out gels and pasting them on the shutter.
    By chance, if your a cinema history buff check out Who's Who of Victorian Cinema ( http://www.victorian-cinema.net/ ) click "on machines" and to see a plethora of early cinema devices-its awesome!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is the circle cutter that you need.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is very cool, and now I know what a kinetoscope is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin