Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,438   Online: 1083

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker

Being as you're in Pleasanton, you might be interested in a trip to Southern Lumber in San Jose (on South First St. at the south end of downtown). They have an excellent selection of both conventional hardwoods and more exotic woods, too. Plus, they usually have scrap bins of smaller pieces of the exotic woods that you can dig through. I believe there is also a hardwood supplier in Berkeley or Alameda that caters to furniture makers, and might be worth exploring.
    Mac Beath Lumber Co
    Address: 930 Ashby Ave, Berkeley, CA 94710
    Phone: (510) 843-4390

Also you'll find new definitions for the term plywood. A good source for finishes and stains.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Dug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live in Seattle and want to build an 8X10. So I think we have a quorum, Steve and Schwinn. I built a Bender 4X5 about 8 years ago and have dragged it through most of the United States and SE Asia. I am quite happy with it. I bought some cherry wood from Northwest Hardwoods and built an adapter to recess the front standard to use super wide angle lenses

I want to use the Bender as a template for the 8X10, and make some changes to the back and monorail to "stiffen" it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You guys are killing me! I would love to build an 8x10 or larger camera, but haven't found any plans really. I even have a mostly complete shop (still need a bandsaw).

If you find plans you like it might be fun to build them at the same time and share photos and progress reports. I'm in Utah but I guess it wouldn't matter where I was thanks to Apug

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Drop me a line!

Drop me a line and lets get together an talk about building some 8x10 (or larger). I have, in my shop, tablesaw, drill press, planer, jointer, lathe, router table (home-made that I want to replace), bandsaw, and chopsaw. So I'm fairly well equipped. I've mainly built furnature (won an award for a baby crib I built).

Email me at magic@stwd.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have built custom muzzleloaders for many years, and thoroughly enjoy working with Maple, I just wonder why it was not a manufacturers choice in the early days. I have seen several "show" cameras built of Curley and Birdseye Maple that were georgeous. Maple was the choice for Pensylvania/
    Kentucky, but the less fancy southern rifles were normally stocked with Cherry. Walnut was used, but was not as favored as the Maple and Cherry on those early firearms.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle sells a bamboo plywood. It's stable, light, strong and eco-friendly.
    Steve Allen
    I never knew anyone made bamboo plywood. It would be amazingly light and strong. Don't know how easy to work with or pretty, but it sure would be indestructable!
    Glad to see no one has mentioned poplar in a while. That would not be a good choice. Light, but not strong and not stable.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Cherry is the preferred wood of many furniture makers because of its hardness and fine grain. As a result, it takes to tools very well and is easily shaped. If it's good for furniture, it has to be good for cameras! That fact that well-finished cherry is absolutely gorgeous certainly doesn't hurt the marketability of wood cameras, either.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Puget Sound 8X10 Builders Consortium Proposal

Hello:

I am brand new here and am so glad I finally figured out how to chime in. Since there are several of us in the Puget Sound area (Seattle, WA, USA), Why don't we consort to build a common camera together? If we could all decide on the same camera, it would be quite inexpensive. Also, it would be very easy if we divided the labor with each member making a part of the camera for all the other members. For example, with five members, member A might make 5 beds, Member B 5 front standards and so on. It is way easier to make five of one thing than it is to make 5 seperate mechanisms. Takes less time, costs less money. Some members have certain tools that would help those who do not have access to those tools, some member might have certain skills or knowledge. It just makes sense. The hard part will be reaching consensus on what type camera to build.

I suggest we build the 8X10 Vail Camera. You can see the plans at

http://www.srv.net/~vail/camera.htm

This is the simplest design I have seen for a field camera. It is not complex or terribly expensive. So let me know what you think. By the way, there is nothing to keep someone who is not near Seattle from making parts either. So if you want an 8X10 camera without having to make the whole thing, let us know.

Thank you.

Barry Young
    barryjyoung@yahoo.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by barryjyoung
    Hello:

I am brand new here and am so glad I finally figured out how to chime in. Since there are several of us in the Puget Sound area (Seattle, WA, USA), Why don't we consort to build a common camera together? If we could all decide on the same camera, it would be quite inexpensive. Also, it would be very easy if we divided the labor with each member making a part of the camera for all the other members. For example, with five members, member A might make 5 beds, Member B 5 front standards and so on. It is way easier to make five of one thing than it is to make 5 seperate mechanisms. Takes less time, costs less money. Some members have certain tools that would help those who do not have access to those tools, some member might have certain skills or knowledge. It just makes sense. The hard part will be reaching consensus on what type camera to build.

I suggest we build the 8X10 Vail Camera. You can see the plans at

http://www.srv.net/~vail/camera.htm

This is the simplest design I have seen for a field camera. It is not complex or terribly expensive. So let me know what you think. By the way, there is nothing to keep someone who is not near Seattle from making parts either. So if you want an 8X10 camera without having to make the whole thing, let us know.

Thank you.

Barry Young
    barryjyoung@yahoo.com
    Welcome Barry to the project. We've had one meeting so far where we kinda set ground rules and talked about what the next step was (which was finding out how to get the metal work done.) With your addition, hopefully that's solved. As to plans, I'll take a look at the Vail plans. You take a look at Doug Bardell's plans at http://www.cyberbeach.net/~dbardell/ . I purchased a set of the plans. They look good other than there aren't any back movements. I also liked your mention of a Deardorff "clone" (in your private email).

I'll probably call another meeting in the next two weeks, since thing s have now changed.

If we have other interested parties, now is the time to get involved.

Steve
    (ULF wantabee)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Steve:

Just let us know when you folks would like to meet. We have many resources here at our house. Metal lathe, milling machine, thickness planer, bandsaw, table saw, radial arm saw, large refrigerator for beer, jointer, welders, a huge stock of premium furniture grade cherry, barbecue, CAD software, film processing and printing facilities (sort of) and a complete set of hand woodworking tools.

We have been repairing cameras part time for many years, we both have made bellows. It is time to make one from scratch.

Please let us know when we can schedule a meeting. I work nights during the week machining parts for fighter jets, so evenings are out for me except on weekends. Also, since I am working between 65 and 75 hours per week, I may not be able to crank things out as quickly as some of you.

Till then.

Barry Young and Deborah Shaffer

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin