Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,799   Posts: 1,671,640   Online: 736

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Polygot!
    Reading your post, I am wondering if there is a modern light meter that has interface (serial, USB etc..) so that a computer can read it reading and act upon the value of the reading. With all the modern technology I am just wondering.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ah, now it makes perfect sense.

I wonder if you can still buy those hand-sized parabolic reflectors that used to be sold in the back of Popular Mechanics. The ones showing someone lighting a cigarette using sunlight? The f/ number should be about one or less, and you don't need an image, so.....

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    Polygot!
    Reading your post, I am wondering if there is a modern light meter that has interface (serial, USB etc..) so that a computer can read it reading and act upon the value of the reading. With all the modern technology I am just wondering.
    The Gossen Digisky has an USB interface.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There are such devices out there. Here's one: http://www.fondriest.com/products/extech_407026.htm ... and another http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/l...avomonitor.php. I think that's a lot more capability than I need -- I just need to trigger a photograph at an arbitrary light level. And it would entail putting a computer out in the wilderness. Where there's no power source. And lots of weather ...
    duane

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many microcontrollers can do USB (hence talk to the meter) and run on practically no power. If you were considering the light-to-frequency sensor, you probably will need a micro there anyway and I suspect that directly reading the light-to-frequency thing will be much easier than talking to a meter using someone else's proprietary protocol. And much more accurate than a photoresistor, probably with the sensitivity you need.

I suspect you're about to do a bunch of learning regarding low-power design and software

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C'mon, guys...

You're building an Atlas rocket to launch a tennis ball.

All you need is a photosensor, an opamp, a couple of resistors, a relay, and a battery.

This ain't rocket science.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The chip I use for temperature monitoring applications (MSP430F2012) doesn't have built-in USB support. It's pretty minimalist. And I have no interest in buying another light meter. I think you're right that light-to-frequency chip would be far easier to incorporate than talking to a meter. Likely more accurate than a photoresistor, too. But I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a simple photoresistor will be accurate enough. A condensor may be needed to get the accuracy I want (a half-stop will be just fine). I'll follow up with the results.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    C'mon, guys...

You're building an Atlas rocket to launch a tennis ball.

All you need is a photosensor, an opamp, a couple of resistors, a relay, and a battery.

This ain't rocket science.

- Leigh
    I agree, this is getting complicated. Now there iwll be a 500gig computer control center running a USB micro controled sensor circuit.... Let teh countdown begin
    T minus 10
    T minus 9
    T minus 8....
    BLAST OFF!
    Huston we have picture!

oops... there was dew on the lens.

Sheit!

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Be sure to let us see the pics and the trigger device ou finally settle on using, please?

This was a fun.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin