Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,087   Online: 988

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Anyone repair wooden field cameras?

Hi, I'm rebuilding an 8x10 century universal. The only major difficulty I've had so far is repairing the back. 2 of the metal pins that hold the back to the camera are broken off, so that the back does not hold in place in the vertical orientation. My woodworking skills are just not up to the task of repairing this. I've attached a few pictures. Does anyone repair these old cameras?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails back-1.jpg   back-2.jpg  

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    http://www.lg4mat.net/
    Richard T Ritter
    POB 401
    Townshend, VT. 05353-0401
    (802) 365-7807
    9 AM to 6 PM Week Days
    &
    Saturdays by chance
    info@lg4mat.net

I have read that phone is more likely than email to reach him.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks John. I have emailed him and it seems he's not as compulsive about responding to email as I am I'll try the phone...

Luigi
    Last edited by Pasto; 11-01-2011 at 12:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much of Vermont, including Townshend, is still in the dark ages internet wise, with no high-speed access, so a phone call is probably a good idea.

Shooter
    Large Format
    And after 22" of snow, the phones may not work either....
    Richard is a top notch repair guy and he builds a damn nice camera as well. He is well worth the wait.

John
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Scott Perry in PA could probably do that as well. His username here is 'bliorg'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The corner with the crack and remaining hole for the pin can be done simply White or carpenter's glue and a wooden peg to fill the hole, wipe off excess glue with a damp cloth, drill a new hole and use a brad with the head cut off for the pin.
    The second one I'd remove the broken section. Basically cut a notch from the back, at the step until you reach the break, then cut downward from the edge until you meet the first cut. That give a simple rectangle to fill. That can be done with a short piece of strip wood.
    Judging by the color, mahogany.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin