Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,513   Posts: 1,543,589   Online: 1119

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F eye level prism issue

I have a non metered Nikon F eye level prism that seems to be very slightly loose in its housing (slight rattle if you shake it). It looks and works well otherwise. Does anyone know how "normal" this is (or not). My guess is that there is an adjustment somewhere internally to correct this - perhaps some preloaded springs or whatever.

the prism was held in place by foam padding that has turned to gunk by now, so it is normal. however, you should still send it to a repairman, because the gunk will damage the reflective coating.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the tip raizans. I have a local guy here that should be able to take care of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just had the prism from my F2 apart, it's retained by a couple of springs. No sign of foam at all.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like the F eyelevel uses a combo of springs and foam

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nikom F Finder.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	257.9 KB 
ID:	41170

The entire manual is available online if you want it.
    Use google as I dont have a direct url

Shooter
    35mm
    Bruce,

Cool diagram, thanks. I'll pour a cup of coffee and study it a while! (I love these old school exploded views).

Right now the prism is in the hands of my tech who also told me that he thinks there is a mechanical preload that needs setting. It seems that there is a spring AND foam.

I don' know what it is about these eye level prisms and the original F, but I've been enchanted with them and the Nikon F from the day I went to press events with my dad back in the early 70's and met all the seasoned still-photo guys who swore by this setup (my dad worked for ABC television back then).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by davela View Post
    I don' know what it is about these eye level prisms and the original F, but I've been enchanted with them and the Nikon F from the day I went to press events with my dad back in the early 70's and met all the seasoned still-photo guys who swore by this setup (my dad worked for ABC television back then).
    I'm nuts for that camera setup, especially black, but I just got a very pretty chrome one also. It has the same simple and functional appeal to me as a Leica M2. And that was a classic combo too. Wide on the Leica and long on the Nikon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Bob!
    I just looked and couldn't find it right off.

Shooter
    35mm
    bob and bruce, thanks for the info - very useful manuals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin