Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,638   Online: 723

Shooter
    35mm

need help removing the tiny RED DOT on the Minolta SRT

I have taken the top cover off of countless Minolta SRT bodies and finally have to ask if there is an easier way.

As many know, that red dot above the lens mount hides a Phillips screw that is necessary to remove in order to remove the top. The tiny red disk is not 'glued' onto this screw but, nevertheless, it has been quite a challenge to remove it. I have tried using a bit of gaffer tape to see if that would pull it off. In desperation I usually use a pair of pliers to gently unscrew the screw (and end up getting tiny scratches on the body around the screw).

Its things like this that cause me to despise Japan for a whole .000001% of the time. Is there a responsible response to this earth quaking dilemma? -David Lyga.

Shooter
    35mm
    Amazing response, guitstik: I thought it was but apiece of thin sheet metal. I think that I would be afraid to try but I might think of doing that with enough courage. It really is but a tiny disk, not held by anything but the mere sides of the raised platform of the Phillips screw. Frustrating to remove, abeit simple in concept! - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have grabbed the whole thing with a pair of needle nose pliers to get it starting to turn.

Usually it can be turned by hand once loose.

Once loose the sleeve falls back and the red dot pops out to allow you to unscrew the machine screw the conventional way - with a screw driver in the end.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry David, irresponsible PWSD on my part.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pick it on the edge with a sewing needle. Failing that a pin vise can loosen the screw. The chuck in the vise gives an equal pressure around the screw and has no grooves that can scar it.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's OK, guitstik.

And Mike, that's what I usually do and I have managed to get to the point where 'almost' no scratch results. Thanks. - David Lyga.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dip a toothpick in lighter fluid and let a drop fall onto the red dot. Wait a few minutes and do it again then carefully using the toothpick move it around the dot in a circle till it loosens and then pressing on the edge it should lift up on the opposite end. You may have to repeat till it comes loose..

Lighter fluid will not damage the dot since it is anodized not painted.
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    That's OK, guitstik.

And Mike, that's what I usually do and I have managed to get to the point where 'almost' no scratch results. Thanks. - David Lyga.
    But it did damage the ring.............
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin