Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,848   Online: 680

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

If someone gave you a lens...

... in this case, a Process-Nikkor 260mm/10 lens, what would you do with it? It's a bit dirty, but the optics and aperture look nice. It's in a Robertson mount (I think it came off a camera for reproducing plates for printing newspapers).

So... any good ideas of what to do with this lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd clean it fix it to a 10x8 camera lens board and test it with a shutter. I've some larger Thornton Pickard shutters that would work with a lens like that, may have to be mounted on the shutter which is attached to the lens board, that give Time and Instant speeds 1/15th to a 1/90th

May depend how the lens is attached to the Robertson mount.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd make a lensboard to fit it and strap it on my Calumet cc-401 and start shooting. Probably make a cap for it to use as a "top hat" shutter. If I didn't already have a LF camera I'd make one quick.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    What's a Robertson mount?
    The best I could find on the web was a bagpipes joint!
    Is it like this?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=61335
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    What's a Robertson mount?
    The best I could find on the web was a bagpipes joint!
    Is it like this?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=61335
    Basically the same thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I occasionally use a Fujinar 250 for enlarging 8x10, so if someone gave me that Nikkor, I'd use it for enlarging 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny you should ask. I have one, also Nikon's f/10 Process Nikkor catalog. I spent pots of money at SKGrimes for an adapter to mount it in front of a Copal #1. This, alas, before I found the catalog.

Per the catalog, the lens is not an apochromat and is not suitable for use outside of the recommended range of magnifications. Apo-Nikkors (so badged) are apochromats and are suitable for use at all distances.

The 260 Process Nikkor is recommended for 1:3 to 3:1. It is symmetrical so doesn't have to be reversed when magnification crosses 1:1.

I bought the mount adapter so I could find out what my lens was good for. I've shot it at distance. Short answer, not much. If I were you I'd invest nothing in making it usable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I occasionally use a Fujinar 250 for enlarging 8x10, so if someone gave me that Nikkor, I'd use it for enlarging 8x10.
    Small enlargements, maybe up to 3x. You'd be better off with a 305/9 Apo-Nikkor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, it's rare to see someone sharing my thoughts on process lenses.

One problem is that if you test them with a lens chart they'll out perfom other lenses because that's what they are designed for - copying flat field artwork, but in real life conditions particularly towards infinity they fall behind quite rapidly.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Small enlargements, maybe up to 3x. You'd be better off with a 305/9 Apo-Nikkor.
    Small magnification but big enlargement 24x30" I couldn't even process a print made at greater than 3x.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin