Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,492   Online: 651

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Homemade 5X4 camera project.

My new camera project.

Over the next few months I will be making something slightly different ... From as much as possible the construction will be from recycled materials.

The camera will be a 5x4" monorail vaguely based on the Jon Grepstad design,or it may even and up as a flat bed type

The lens and shutter arrived the other day. Over 70 years old it's one of the 135mm Ortagoz lenes . It's condition isn't first class has paint missing and the glass has some light fungus.. or mushrooms as the guy who sold it said .

If anyone is is interested I can post images on how it's going.
    Colin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would be me, post away!
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Show me sumptin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please note all of the construction pictures have been taken digitally.

All going well I will be using this camera in an art/craft exhibition with the title of 'Metamorphosis' I'm using recycled materials as much as possible, so I guess it a reverse metamorphosis. This exhibition will take place late next year. Every stage will be documented. will be so stand by for plenty of pictures.

135mm Ortagoz lens and shutter.

I pick up some goodies at the local tip shop that should be just right for the project . Also I had an old apple crate that had squirreled away has some nice old timber I could find a use for .

This is the first of the frames.
    Last edited by ColRay; 12-01-2011 at 11:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Right Up My Alley

Great stuff so far. Recycling old wood into a camera is certainly something I can get into. Waiting for more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The film deck is taking shape I did have one slight problem with the thin slats cupping, the spring back frame for the ground glass screen should eliminate this problem.. if not Bugger!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using a slab type of construction. the end grain won't be a problem , because I will be spraying the finished camera with enamel paint that has the 'Hammered Metal Look' just like the pin hole camera I made some time back.

One of my homemade recycled materials cameras

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The spring back frame.

I hope there isn't a cap on the amount of images per thread.

Colin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love it!
    I look forward to following this thread
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm interested too.

Most of my DIY camera making has been with wood re-claimed from old furniture too.

Could you show a bit more detail of your spring back design? Is is similar to the Razzlok back? http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle.../razzlok_.html

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin