Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,811   Online: 1049

Shooter
    35mm RF

Minolta XE-7 advance lock location

I have a Minolta XE-7 that has developed a random problem. Sometime when advancing the shutter the lever will lock but will advance after storing the lever then trying again. It's more of a slight irritation but I would like to fix it.

I suspect it is a spring loaded catch that needs a bit of cleaning and lube but before going into the camera (I do have camera repair experience) I would like for anyone who has fixed this problem before to let me know where it is. I pulled the bottom plate but was unable to determine if it is located there so I suspect it is hidden in the top.

It looks like to pull the top plate I need to first remove the prism housing to expose screws holding the top plate on. Does the screw holding the on/off switch turn right handed or left handed and what would be involved in removing the shutter speed dial?
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My XE-1 does the same thing. Please let me know if you find out why. I don't need to push my lever back to the body though. Just stop pressing then try again and it's fine.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thread resurrection!!!!

What was the final solution - if any? I just bought an XE-7 exhibiting the same problem....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was about to post that mine did that - then saw that I already had!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I didn't want to go into the camera so I sent it out for repair..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    My XE-1 does the same thing. Please let me know if you find out why.
    I have just posted in another thread on the subject but I will copy that post here as I have found the solution:

I removed the screw (top bit with two tiny holes) and took off the lever mechanism (remember the order in which the parts came off!) and sprayed on a very tiny amount of Servisol contact cleaner. This is sold as a switch cleaning lubricant so I assume I will not need to add any lubricant later (although if I do, it's not a problem).

The wind on lever is now as silky smooth as it was when I bought the camera.
    I read about the idea of cleaning up under the wind mechanism on another forum - might have been Photo.Net

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Maybe I do not fully understand, but what if...

you hold the body so that the advance lever points slightly downward and squirt a bit of lighter fluid into the film advance crank area. It could just need to have any oil residue cleaned out. I say 'point slightly downward' so that you do not get any fluid into the prism area. Perhaps removing the bottom would be best here so that the fluid can escape (if you squirt enough to fall all the way though). - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it's a pin or something similar which prevents you from winding on until the shutter is released. If like me, you wind on almost immediately, sometimes this pin does not disengage quickly enough and jams up. Releasing pressure and trying again seemed to work every time.

My wind on lever also used to get stuck at the far end and would not always return. I just needed a very tiny amount of cleaner under it to solve both problems. I didn't put in anywhere near enough for it to find its way through to the bottom.

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin