Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,686   Online: 760

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

stuck tripod legs

I have an old Gitzo with the bottom section of one leg that will not unscrew. Does anyone know the best way to un-seize them? I've thought about getting a couple of small strap wrenches. I don't know... Someone gave me this old G410 that otherwise is in great shape.

Thanks folks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leg locks are made for human hands not wrenches. Take a rubber gloves to get a better grip unlock it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Maine. My thought was that strap wrenches wouldn't scratch the legs if I need more torque. I'll try rubber gloves first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might put a drop of liquid wrench on it and let it sit a few hours. Then use those rubber pads they sell in kitchen shops for unscrewing jar lids.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That is what I hate about Gitzos. I have had to take a wrench to mine a couple of times. The good thing about Gitzos is that they can be completely taken apart and cleaned and lubed and they will work much better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try heating the stuck locking mechanism with a hairdryer on high heat setting. A drop or two(use very little)of penetrating oil may help if used at the same time, the heat will help draw the oil into the threads. Do not try to force the lock, wiggle it back and forth, as much as it will allow. Never use any tools other than your hand, at most use a rubber pad for better grip. I have rubber strap wrenches, they have a pinch point that will deform whatever they are pried against.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd soak with WD-40 then after an hour or so it should free up, then I'd dis-assemble and wash & clean well with hot water and liquid detergent. Then I'd dry, Lubricate and re-assemble.

It's a good idea to do this very few years anyway with tripods.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for all the info. I hadn't thought about the possibility of strap wrenches doing damage at the point of impact. Will give each suggestion a try until it's unlocked... then clean, re-place shims and SHOOT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bike tires work well to give grip

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are you thinking of bicycle inner tubes rather than the tyres?

If you do use WD-40, make sure that you remove all traces as it will rot the rubber and plastic parts.

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin