Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,142   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post

Even if you do not screw it up, what ever you can do yourself will be so trivial for a professional that it will be included in the fee for the complete service.
    Very good point.

I've just contacted Gerry at Kindermann here in Toronto, he says he'll have a look at it.

Thanks, guys.
    Last edited by EthanFrank; 12-15-2011 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    If you screw it up badly enough....you may have a very difficult time to find a technician who will even touch it.

Even if you do not screw it up, what ever you can do yourself will be so trivial for a professional that it will be included in the fee for the complete service.
    When I did clock repair work, I'd estimate very differently for anyone who told me they already tried fixing it... and VERY differently for anyone who brought parts in a box.

There are some "home remedies" that are not trivial. One example is use of WD-40. That ruins cleaning solutions making re-use (normal business practice) impossible and increasing the cost of a repair proportionally. Another is loss of small parts... which a synchro Compur has many of.

p.s. Good decision, Ethan!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. Good decision, Ethan!
    I really just need the smell out of the house! Blech.
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand. I bought a camera once that had that musty old barn smell. It eventually went away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing I forgot to get clarification on:

Can the fungus from the viewing lens (there's a good deal of it, although I can see through the lens just fine) spread to the taking lens?
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps, but I doubt it. The are physically separated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Brian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand that fungus is spread by spores and many people suggest keeping an infected lens separate from others.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mm, that's what I was worried about. I suppose I'll look into having the viewing lens cleaned.
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John's right, of course... but think about the construction of a TLR: the two lenses are physically isolated in separate chambers. Having the lens cleaned might be a good idea anyway, but it seems like the risk of infection is limited.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin