Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,698   Online: 812

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleiflex 2.8D Shutter (etc) Issues

Hi APUG.

I just picked up a Rolleiflex 2.8D for a price I couldn't refuse, knowing that it'd need some repairs. I'd love to hear what you guys think, prior to sending it out.

First off, the shutter doesn't open, at any speed. It just stutters a bit when I press the shutter. The rewind crank also doesn't stop when I turn it the opposite way to cock the shutter.

Second, there is an awful smell (??) coming from the viewfinder assembly. Does anyone know why that is?

If there is anything I can do to fix it, I'm all ears. Otherwise, any ideas as to how much this might cost me? The viewing lens also seems to have some mild fungus.

Thanks.
    Last edited by EthanFrank; 12-15-2011 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What does it smell like -- WD-40 or lighter fluid?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest if you want a reliable answer to your questions you take it to a professional repairer ask him to strip it down and diagnose the faults and quote you a price for the necessary repairs.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depending on where you send it, $250 and up? The shutter is going to need an overhaul- probably gummed up as Synchro-Compurs tend to do. Wind system problems, could be simple, could not be simple. All in all, with this many things going on, unless you are either experienced or willing to risk a pile of parts while learning, I would let someone else handle it.

As to the smell, well, there are so many 'awful' smells in the world. Maybe someone drooled chewing tobacco juice all over it? A mouse crawled in and died? A new mirror is standard, and the viewing lens fungus could just be roach tracks on the back side or you seeing the mirror tarnish; no matter, it takes a lot to make a viewing lens unusable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    As to the smell, well, there are so many 'awful' smells in the world. Maybe someone drooled chewing tobacco juice all over it? A mouse crawled in and died? A new mirror is standard, and the viewing lens fungus could just be roach tracks on the back side or you seeing the mirror tarnish; no matter, it takes a lot to make a viewing lens unusable.
    My only worry about the fungus in the viewing lens is that it would somehow reach the taking lens...is that an irrational worry? I'm not too knowledgeable about these things.

The smell...quite honestly, it is a rotting smell, but I don't know what materials there are in a Rollei that really can rot. I know that the viewfinder assembly isn't as easy to remove in a 'D' than an 'E' and beyond, but I see 4 small screws surrounding the viewfinder...if I remove these, will I be able to give the whole thing a good clean and replace it?

I don't want to fix all these problems myself, the camera will go to a tech eventually - I'd just rather do what I can do myself before that, and save a few dollars in the process. The viewfinder seems a little less daunting than the shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    What does it smell like -- WD-40 or lighter fluid?
    Neither...old furniture, maybe? Rotting wood?
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the description, Ethan, it sounds to me like sending it for an overhaul is the only prudent option. Unfortunately, the $$$ mentioned by Dan Daniel sounds about right to me. I've seen pricing that was all-inclusive, and sometimes the shutter overhaul priced separately from the body overhaul.

p.s. I've never seen wood used in the construction of a Rollei. Perhaps leather fungus???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanFrank View Post
    My only worry about the fungus in the viewing lens is that it would somehow reach the taking lens...is that an irrational worry? I'm not too knowledgeable about these things.

The smell...quite honestly, it is a rotting smell, but I don't know what materials there are in a Rollei that really can rot. I know that the viewfinder assembly isn't as easy to remove in a 'D' than an 'E' and beyond, but I see 4 small screws surrounding the viewfinder...if I remove these, will I be able to give the whole thing a good clean and replace it?

I don't want to fix all these problems myself, the camera will go to a tech eventually - I'd just rather do what I can do myself before that, and save a few dollars in the process. The viewfinder seems a little less daunting than the shutter.

Neither...old furniture, maybe? Rotting wood?
    By trying to fix it yourself you might make thing worse the position of the focusing screen needs to be correct within very small tolerances to achieve correct focus,and some repair companys won't touch cameras that have been "tampered with", the one I use won't.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 12-15-2011 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. I've never seen wood used in the construction of a Rollei. Perhaps leather fungus???
    I'm certain it's not wood, that's just the best way I can describe the smell.

I thought it was the leather too, when I first opened it. I stripped off all the leather and applied a kit from Morgan at cameraleather.com. However, the smell is only in the viewfinder...Baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    By trying to fix it yourself you might make thing worse and some repair companys won't touch cameras that have been tampered with, the one I use won't.
    I don't intend on messing with any of the internals, that would be biting off more than I can chew. However, I don't see the harm in a good, thorough cleaning.
    Cheers,

-ethan

blog?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EthanFrank View Post
    ......I'm not too knowledgeable about these things.
    .... I'd just rather do what I can do myself before that, and save a few dollars in the process.....

This is false economy. If you open it up and screw it up. It will certainly cost more for the eventual professional care it already does need. If you screw it up badly enough....you may have a very difficult time to find a technician who will even touch it.

Even if you do not screw it up, what ever you can do yourself will be so trivial for a professional that it will be included in the fee for the complete service.

It is a Rollie...and a nice one at that. It is not some dime-a-dozen 35mm SLR...give it to a professional who IS knowledgeable about these things.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Removing the focus hood is easy- unscrew the four screws, slowly pull up and back, probably tilting the back out first since there is a spring/mechanical block tucked in behind the name plate. Maybe you'll find the dead mouse right away.

There isn't anything in there from the factory to rot, other than a small piece of cork. I would wipe everything down with some alcohol at the most. I've gotten a couple of used cameras with heavy smoke residue, which can take on a pretty rancid smell over the years. Maybe it's just the number of paint surfaces in the focus hood that allows for a denser collection, and the paint might not neutralize a smell like leather?

If you touch the mirror with anything, it will tarnish more or flake off, just to warn you. You'll get access to the back of the viewing lens so you can try cleaning it. Given the work that the camera needs, I would just let the repair shop handling installing a new mirror, maybe a new screen. There are alignment and focus issues to deal with, anyway, so little gained by doing this yourself at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin