Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,061   Online: 938

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    127 Format
    Has anyone ever heard of a cost-benefit ratio?
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whaz dat?

The education is priceless, so what do you think is better than that for free?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    127 Format
    The point being that all this is a waste of time. There is no education here since there is no practicality to this exercise of trying to make a super meter in an OM-1.

Use a hearing aid battery, or use a diode to convert for a 1.5v battery, or use a CHRIS/MR9 adapter, or just use a 1.5 volt battery and compensate, or just turn the meter off and use your senses.

cost (high) / benefit(low) = bad ratio
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah the lessons...
    Why your 1.5V battery doesn't work in this OM1 meter circuit
    How a diode can remedy the situation
    The technology advances of voltage regulators
    Wheatstone bridges... did you know that is what this is called?
    A darlington circuit?... ever hear of that?
    An actual circuit diagram of the OM1 meter
    The factory calibration manual for the OM1 meter
    Learn anything about resistors n how they effect a meter circuit?
    Explored all the possible ways we can repair this meter?

AND yes, last n foremost advice of the year... cost-benefit ratio

But nothing here was a waste, otherwise you can say APUG in general is a waste; since most of all we spend lots n lots of time looking into the technology of photography... in all it;s boring detailed depth complete with checmial formulai n equations.. which is generally not very fashionable anymore in today's ADDH world of duming everything down to mind numbing over simplification. Perhaps if this were offered in sound bites of 15 seconds or less it might be more enticing? I doubt it.

Just my 2¢, so if you'd like a refund, present your receipt at the front desk.

So come on, sit back n have some fun? I'll bet the OP used a hearing aid battery anyway, everything we discussed is not for the average user but more for postarity n future reference.

This is for you my grandchildren that find my old junker cameras in a big box in the garage when I'm gone. At least they'll know how to reapir the meter in my OM1.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    The point being that all this is a waste of time. There is no education here since there is no practicality to this exercise of trying to make a super meter in an OM-1.

Use a hearing aid battery, or use a diode to convert for a 1.5v battery, or use a CHRIS/MR9 adapter, or just use a 1.5 volt battery and compensate, or just turn the meter off and use your senses.

cost (high) / benefit(low) = bad ratio
    You said it brother, amen. John

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Douglas View Post
    I apologize to the web master for waisting space here. I think this is a valuable service you provide, but not one of the 26 responses addressed my question. I suppose the only people who know how to calibrate an OM1n are the professionals who market their skills at a price. This is just a hobby for me, I'm surprised there isn't another hobbyist with more experience than I have out there somewhere. No matter, perhaps I'll attempt it on my own. Thanks everyone.
    Just go over to eBay and get one of the "new" MR-9 battery adapters for $22.50. Just type in the search phrase... MR-9 battery adapter.

I went this route because I don't like jacking around. I want the light meter in my Olympus OM-1n to work like it originally did at 1.35v...but that's just me.
    Last edited by JohnPaul; 07-29-2012 at 10:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I solve the OM1 meter/battery problem by leaving the switch set to 'off'.

I actually wish they made an OM1 with no meter at all; it's a sexy camera but if there was no ISO dial cluttering up the top cover, and no meter needle cluttering up the viewfinder, it would be truly awesome.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I solve the OM1 meter/battery problem by leaving the switch set to 'off'.

I actually wish they made an OM1 with no meter at all; it's a sexy camera but if there was no ISO dial cluttering up the top cover, and no meter needle cluttering up the viewfinder, it would be truly awesome.
    I totally agree with you but if back then Olympus made the OM-1 without a meter they could not sell it. Although there were many people back then who could shoot without a meter but back then the built in meter made the camera much more valuable to people. Today I think the number of people who rely on meter is greater than in the old days but meterless camera is more appealling. Uhm! an oxymoron?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bridge circuits don't care about mercury cells, I think.

While my ancient Praktica LTL wants mercury cells, since it is a bridge circuit - usually identifiable by a meter needle "wanting" to be centered in a fixed circle or whatever, actual voltage is not critical, except perhaps in terms of ultimate low light sensativity. Finding a silver oxide of the appropriate size is the problem.

It is amazing how long mercury cells last! I have an ancient LaFayette Radio (anyone else remember them?) CdS meter. I may have replaced the mercury cell once after buying it to replace a dead Sekonic Microlite meter sometime in the mid '70s I think. The cell still hits the BC mark. Gotta be perhaps 30 years old?

I've often wondered if a solution to the mercury contamination problem would have been a huge deposit on the purchase of a mercury cell, at least partially refunded when the cell was turned in for reprocessing. The huge deposit would cover the cost of the exchange program. Thus my Bulova Accutron series 214 Spaceview could be completely authentic.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin