Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,350   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Any ideas how to remove old coat on Nikon FE?

I have a Nikon FE that is full of ugly scratches. I'm thinking of removing the chrome and repaint it with silver or black. I want to avoid using sandpaper since it is time consuming and it will be very difficult to remove the coat from narrow corners. Should I brush it with paint remover? Or brake fluid?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    I have a Nikon FE that is full of ugly scratches. I'm thinking of removing the chrome and repaint it with silver or black. I want to avoid using sandpaper since it is time consuming and it will be very difficult to remove the coat from narrow corners. Should I brush it with paint remover? Or brake fluid?
    Don't forget the matches...

Seriously, why bother? Repainting, apart from very careful touch-ups of small nicks if you must, usually results in a camera that looks worse. Flooding a camera with solvents is asking for trouble.

Is the camera working properly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... and besides, beat up amateur cameras look more professional. Wear those scratches like badges of honour!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forget paint remover and brake fluid, to remove chrome, you need a deplating bath and equipment, and the acids involved won't leave you with a usable camera unless you remove the plated parts first.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... and besides, beat up amateur cameras look more professional. Wear those scratches like badges of honour!
    +1 on that brother. Those are battle scars, heard earned badges of honor. An old camera should look old otherwise go buy a new camera.

Perhaps a better option may be to look for a nice looking junker to swap out beauty armor?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do you actually need to remove the chrome before painting?

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Do you actually need to remove the chrome before painting?

Steve.
    The only time I painted over chrome was on my BMX fork and it chipped easily. Not sure about satin chrome though.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MFstooges View Post
    The only time I painted over chrome was on my BMX fork and it chipped easily. Not sure about satin chrome though.
    It's called chrome. They're not plated in either finish. Sand away. Don't forget some new leather. This place has you covered:

http://cameraleather.com/

Fake fur is another option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To remove chrome plating from brass - you first need to be sure it is chrome plating on brass - you use hydrochloric acid. This is, I believe, still known by it's old name of muriatic acid in some parts of the world.

It is really nasty stuff and obviously you'd need to completely strip the camera down and treat ONLY the chrome parts.

This is possible with simple folding cameras and cameras where you can easily remove, say, a chrome top plate. I can't see it as being feasible with a complex SLR. If you did manage to strip it down and just have the body parts by themselves - I would give them to a pro plating company and get them to strip and re-plate it for you. I've done this with motorbike bits before and it isn't so difficult to get done or so expensive - it is stripping the camera down this far (and putting back together!) that would be completely out of the question IMHO.
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    .....Seriously, why bother? Repainting, apart from very careful touch-ups of small nicks if you must, usually results in a camera that looks worse......
    Leave it alone. An amateur job of painting a camera will only make it look worse, and the resale value will drop to zero. Just clean the camera, and wear those scratches as a badge of honor!
    —Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin