Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,417   Online: 935

Shooter
    35mm

Ricoh Singlex TLS - viewfinder not assembled correctly - front focussing

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures at this time, but I need help assembling the viewfinder/prism 'bucket' in the correct order. It was working just fine until I took it apart for cleaning before a trip. Apparently, I assembled it in the wrong order, because all my pictures are front focussing by almost a foot. Lens has not changed or been damaged.

Parts that go in the viewfinder prism 'bucket' that sits right above the mirror:
    - focussing screen (fresnel side facing mirror or viewfinder? - I'm fairly certain its original orientation was with the fresnel side facing the mirror)
    - very thin steel spacer (thinner than a piece of paper, no identifying marks for orientation)
    - thicker aluminum spacer
    - lens
    - lens bracket/spacer
    - viewfinder prism

Shooter
    35mm

Assembly drawing from Ricoh Singlex TLS Repair Manual

See attachments ... good luck!

Wolfgang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ricoh Singlex TLS_Page_26_Image_0001.jpg   Ricoh Singlex TLS_Page_27_Image_0001.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm

another page that might be useful for adjusting focus

again, good luck.

Wolfgang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ricoh Singlex TLS_Page_07_Image_0001.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might have put the focusing screen in upside down (wrong side toward the mirror).
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Wolfgang. My Godfather recently gave me his old Ricoh and I managed to get a few decent pics with it. The seals were all gummy and the shutter was fouled. It cleaned up fairly well but the meter still doesn't work and I've been stalling on opening it up for a proper cleaning since the repair manual hasn't yet been located. When I get the time I hope to get it working 100% for my kid to learn manual analog photography with.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by schramlw View Post
    See attachments ... good luck!

Wolfgang
    AMAZING!

Thank you so much! My googling skills must be really rusty. I've been trying to find the repair manual forever! This has helped me a TON!

Shooter
    35mm
    I got it reassembled in the correct order (fresnel side facing mirror, matte side facing prism).
    I put some frosted tape across the back film plane to simulate ground glass (works when you're in a bind/hurry). It looks like that did it. The distance scale on the barrel now seems to be accurate, and the focus seems to be the same through the viewfinder and on the film plane.

I've got some B/W I'm shooting at wide open (f/1.4 - f/2.8 max) as a test roll. We'll find out in a few days if that was the trick. Again, thanks a TON!

Shooter
    35mm

Complete service manual?

Hi, I realize this is an old thread, but I'm looking for a service manual for the Ricoh Singlex TLS, The pages already posted are useful, but I'd like to see the rest of the assembly as well. Specifically, I'm looking for the best (read: least damaging) technique for removing the cover on the wind lever. I have one copy of the camera where this was already removed, but I'm not sure how to remove it without damaging the cap on another copy. Thanks!

(If this is inappropriate to post here, I apologize!)

-Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin