Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 741

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

DIY Shutter for Ektar 111mm f:1.5

I have that lens and I want to build a 6x10 cms back for 120 film and a camera body and the wooden tripod.
    Problem , there is neither shutter nor diaphgram on the lens. Lens is very high speed and the films also.
    How can I make a shutter for that large diameter lens ? I dont want to lose the shallow DOF and I need a fast working solution can be installed to that camera. May be a sliding slit ? But I dont want to add a slit as a second lens to the system because of additional abberrations if there is . What can be the solution. I will photograph the buildings , sunsets , my mother and may be crowded night streets. No moving compositions generally. I dont want to spend for any hardware and filter.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The easiest way would be to mount it on a Graflex and get a 6x12 back. Would you be mounting this on a view camera to begin with? You should look into Packard Shutters, or Thornton Packard shutters.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    EASmithV,

I will build a camera bymyself , basic as a barn door. What are the prices of these shutters ? But I prefer a trick from old timers as basic as a hat or a pinhole camera shutter with a spring. But I am open to all suggestions. I will build a back like Hasselblad with 6x10cms sizes.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Thornton Pickard roller blind shutter would work perfectly with the lens, hoever that f1.5 Ektar sounds like a Projector lens from a slide projector and it probably doesn't have an image circle large enough for 6x6 let alone 6x10.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    2¼ $140 $165 $220 $340 $38 4½

Packard shutters are impossible for me.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ian ,

I tried the lens with box and paper , it is hugely cover the sizes. I will look to that product.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ian ,

It is what I thought , slit on textile with springs. I think I can build one. Slit is a lens also and it has abberations. Do you think it does or not add abberations to the lens. I saw pictures of Aero Ektar and it was the best. If this lens is similar , I dont want to lose it.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may be lucky with the lens Umut, I just looked in my late 1940'sKodak Referance Handbook but there's no 111mm f1.5 Ektar listed, however it's almost ceratinly newer anyway possibly.

Thornton Pickard shutters are quite different to Packard shutters, in fact they were the very first Roller blind shutters paptented in 1888 and made up until the early 1960's so there's plenty around. They can fit between lens and camera or be front mounted on a lens. If your lucky they can be found for around £10 (less than 30 ytl).

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ian ,

It is Kodak Fluro Ektar 111mm f :1.5 Mag.1:6 RAII0. I bought it from street seller for 50 cents and it is 10 pounds or so. It has a wonderful huge deeply screwed aluminum parasoleil with screw holes on the rim which makes possible to attach to somewhere somehow. Its sitting as a collection part for 14 years , what a shame !

Do you know a online seller for shutter from England ? Brits dont get leg and arm when it comes to postage.

Happy New Years !

By the way Fluroid glass is from end of the war by Kodak and it could be from 50s , someone read the code and said 1954 or 1957 years ago.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Umut, I'd test that lens first I'm not 100% sure it'll work well as a conventional camera lens. The Fluoro-Ektar lenses are usually optimised for mid Green and 16:1 magnification.

The easiest way to test the lens would be with a plate camera and a roll film back (or sheet film) if you know someone in Istanbul with one.

It's possibly too large a lens for the common TP shutters, bigger versions are rarer & expensive.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin