August 5-10, 2012

Gum prints are essentially photographically controlled watercolors made by a 19th Century process called gum bichromate. Gum Arabic is mixed with watercolor paint and a photosensitive substance called ammonium dichromate, and painted onto watercolor paper. When exposed to sunlight in contact with an enlarged negative, the gum Arabic hardens into an image that is “developed” in plain water. Where the light hits the least, the gum and pigment wash away, leaving the highlights of the image. The prints, when finished, are completely archival.
For those of you wanting to delve into this process, from low tech to high tech, from monochrome to tricolor, from historical to contemporary, this is the class for you.
Christina will guide you through the pleasures (and pitfalls) of the gum process from 1839 to the present day digital era. Bring a digital camera to use out in the field and/or digital photos you would like to translate into gum prints (your own personal laptop would be best!); no need for large format negatives as the class will be outputting contact printing negatives digitally. Be prepared for an intensive and creative week that will probably turn you into yet another “gum bichromaniac”!

" Because of my extensive travel schedule summer 2012 I am only doing one workshop at the end of summer: August 5-10, 2012 Gum Printing, Then and Now. Photographers' Formulary, Condon Montana. (see workshopsinmt.com). An Added bonus is I will be sharing the casien process during this workshop for the first time. Intermediate knowledge of Photoshop would be best to attend and get the most out of the workshop, but if Photoshop illiterate there will still be lots to learn and do."

More Info: http://www.workshopsinmt.com/Anderson-GumPrint-Aug.html

Workshops in Montana
7079 Hwy 83 N
Condon, Montana 59826
406-754-2891

Sherry@photoformulary.com