Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,801   Online: 1105

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New gallery and workspace in Virginia

Keith Williams and myself have finally opened a gallery and space for shooting and doing workshops in Charlottesville VA., just in time for the Look3 Festival of the Photo. All film based, of course. I've included a link to the flyer we are printing to blitz the festival with so enjoy and stop in when your in town. http:manupropria.org
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Manu Propria.jpg  

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    This is one of the most important announcements on APUG in ages and I congratulate you on your courage in this time - I wish you well and if you develop a kneemail list please announce this here as well

I am particularly interested in how print sales go and if you are interested in work from overseas - This is of interest to me as I have totally given up on Australian sales and now only sell my expensive silver jelly prints internationally - Australians are too stupid to understand photography and think digital is the only means now in existence

John

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I will only be stopping in virtually as distance prevents, however, I congratulate you and Keith for your commitment and a pat on the back of those other Apug'rs whose names I recognize in the inaugural showing!!!! Outstanding!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks John, and we would love to see your work. Right off the bat though, we are not planning on paying the rent with print sales. it would be nice, but realistically I don't see that happening. The gallery does two things for us, one, it educates and shows examples of work done today that is film based and gives us a chance to talk it up a bit. Two, it gives people who are considering collecting real art a chance to pick up a couple of pieces and add to it through out the years. The main focus is going to be on the workshops and classes in film, large format, developing film, printing in the darkroom and a bit of P/P printing and other alternative processes. We need to somehow bring the light to bear on what film can and has always been able to do, and we certainly have a willing audience here in Charlottesville. We may go broke, but what the hell.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    PS - I have included you on my links page - Please visit http://www.jbaphoto.com.au/links.html to check details and advise if there are any errors

John

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Richard and Keith: You guys are really showing your dedication to your art by undertaking this venture. I can't wait for an opportunity to drive up and check it out, not to mention finally meet you.
    Best wishes.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for your kind and sincere comments! I really appreciate it.

Firs of all, I'm afraid I have to apologize to poor Richard, for what he is about to experience. Poor guy is only just now getting to know my highly caffeinated and opinionated business side

I guess I'll say a few words about the name that we chose for our venture, and what it means to us. I have been ranting lately about the erosion of hands-on, eye-to-eye, inspirational learning in our schools... everything's become so virtualized, clinical, and boringly two dimensional. Some IT enthusiasts seem hell-bent on moving all our classrooms and teachers into "the cloud."

While stewing on that topic, I was wondering how much of our students' schoolwork even bears a real signature- that creative and personal character that gives work its individual value. In order to impress my erudite colleagues I decided to call all of that "manu propria." Then Richard and I had coffee and talked about opening a gallery, and we realized the same thoughts apply to photographic output....

Anyway... wish us luck! And I guess we'd better hang up an APUG logo in deference to our many great friends here, and all that they've taught us.

P.S. You can follow us on facebook at manupropriagallery, and on twitter at @manupropria1 ... and keep us in mind as a venue to display your best work. And come teach some students down here too! That's what manu propria stands for. Learning how to put more of yourself into the print.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Austin View Post
    PS - I have included you on my links page - Please visit http://www.jbaphoto.com.au/links.html to check details and advise if there are any errors

John
    Thanks very much! Yes let's definitely talk about getting some Aussie prints over here.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking of coffee...we should definitely install an expresso machine, or at least a Mr. Coffee. I love the smell of caffein and developer in the morning.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My best to you. I have a gallery outside of Ottawa that makes more on fiber prints than anything else. Look up 3 yellow tulips on google.

If I can be of any help, feel free to contact me.

Grandpa Bare

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin