Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,958   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Some feedback from Ilford

All,
    A few weeks ago I asked a question on the Ilford website.
    Basically I pointed out that I work in a school and when I show kids film cameras and prints, they (some of them) are interested. The first thing they do is go to YouTube and look it up(yes I know but like it or not, to kids YouTube and Facebook/Twitter IS the centre of the universe! lol).
    Whilst there are many vids on developing you own film etc, there was none from Ilford showing just how easy developing your own film and printing can be.
    I suggested that to help 'capture' potentially new customers.
    Here is there reply:

Dear Mr Abbott,
    We have discussed your idea at a Technical Service meeting. We all agree that this is a good proposal and we would like to produce some darkroom videos. We are currently producing a set of videos on the use of a pinhole kit for schools. When these are complete we would then move on to more general subjects.
    Thank you very much for your suggestion.
    Regards,
    David Abberley.

So it's a start. What vids on YouTube would you recommend?
    Remember this isn't a question on the benefits or not of youtube, that's what the kids use. As you know there is some real rubbish on there, so it would be good to point them to some 'better ones' especially ones that show how simple it can be, yet still get good results.
    Alan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is already one pinhole video from Ilford on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ww4KtO-9Y

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My favorite is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-BhJQqHXfQ from 1958, it shows that even Ansel Adams performed the same things we do now. Photography hasn't changed that much, even with digital cameras!

I bring my 8 year old into the "darkroom" when making contact prints. It shows the "magic" side of photography, as the image comes to life on the paper. It also encourages her to keep trying. It shows her that even with all the failures, success is often only one try away.

I'd love to see more videos that show what draws so many folks to the art, that magic moment when it all comes together!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    There is already one pinhole video from Ilford on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ww4KtO-9Y

Steve.
    Yep looked at that, but It's more a case of developing your own film and making prints.

It just seemed like an ideal opertunity for Ilford to 'grab some new customers.
    Alan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good stuff. And haven't seen this Ansel video, thanks for the link.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jason Brunner's series of videos on developing roll film finally convinced me to give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9bNcBE_Hc

I haven't found anything as good on darkroom printing, I ended up using books and websites to learn that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is a great idea! I utilize a patchwork of youtube and vimeo vids in my classroom. But to have a series produced by Ilford would be invaluable. I'd like to see basic film processing, pushing and pulling film, darkroom printing, dodging and burning, toning demo, split grade printing (would Les McLean do this demo??? That would be awesome!!)
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Jason Brunner's series of videos on developing roll film finally convinced me to give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9bNcBE_Hc

I haven't found anything as good on darkroom printing, I ended up using books and websites to learn that.
    I pull up his Large Format preview video when I need a giggle. Because...I've done exactly that thing.

!@#$ing allergies.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the main problem with all the youtube videos is that not many analogue photographers that practice the dark(room) arts are very comfortable around cameras themselves.
    They all have bad production values and kids will get bored really quickly if the video is some ancient guy babbling on with bad lighting and bad sound. Heck it takes me all my concentration to watch them.

It would be fantastic if Ilford did do a series of videos that equal Ted Forbes and his Art of Photography series. http://www.youtube.com/user/theartof...?feature=watch
    Good sound, good lighting, great content. Hmm, might be worth giving that a go myself

Shooter
    35mm
    Just go through the procedure. Load a sacrificial film into a Paterson Super System 4 tank (because they're very common used and don't cost much to buy new) in daylight to show how it works, then show a light-proof bag, explain that when doing it with a real film you need to load in darkness, then produce one you've already loaded.

Next video can cover chemicals, temperatures and mixing the correct quantities, then pouring them into the tank in turn while timing with a clock or watch and emptying afterwards. Finish with removing the rinsed negatives from the tank, squeegeeing, and attaching film clips before hanging it somewhere relatively dust-free to dry.

Now a split - one about scanning, one about printing traditionally. Cover the kit first, then the actual process. Maybe use night vision gear to show the darkroom in action, unless IR light bothers B&W paper?
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin