Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,238   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

School offering film only

Hello!

What schools are still teaching film, independent of digital? Are there any? In Chicago, you can take darkroom classes at the community college for $100. Pretty amazing deal. I understand Columbia College has several film classes - even large format - but for like $50,000 a year. I assuming there are some adult learning programs and continuing ed programs that offer some too, but i haven't really found much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pacific Northwest College of Art and the Art Institute in Portland, OR both have photography programs that include film...not sure if any of the programs are only film. Nowadays, it's good just to see that darkrooms still exist. So many places dismantled everything dark and wet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We still teach B&W darkroom at Brooklyn College. And it's a prerequisite for digital. I've taught also at Pratt Institute, Adelphi University, and Kingsborough Community College, all of which still teach film based photography. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find darkroom classes at The School of Visual Arts, NYU, and Parsons School of Design, but I don't know for certain.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Concordia University in Montreal offers a BFA and MFA in photography. They have amazing analog faciities, both B&W as well as color. A great school to study photography. I returned to school (at Concordia) just 3 years ago to attempt a career change. It's been a wonderful experience. Tuition is not too expensive for non-Canadians, at least not as compared to most US schools. Montreal is also a great place to live as a student. Let me knw if you want more detailed info.

Good luck!

Shooter
    35mm
    I teach both Computer Art (Photoshop for artists, basically) and Photography Appreciation (history and technique) at Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte, NC. The school also has a two-part darkroom course that is black-and-white film only, which is reasonably affordable. There are about a dozen enlargers in our darkroom, some Omega D2s and some Beseler 45V-XLs. In addition to the basics of film developing and printing, students are given the opportunity to work with large-format cameras (we have several 4x5 cameras and one 8x10), and some alternative processes such as lith and cyanotype. We don't offer a degree in photography, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pittsburgh Filmmakers - http://pfm.pittsburgharts.org/class-schedules - has film and digital classes for still and video. Pretty good darkrooms, too (f295 has used them for the workshops with the symposiums).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Film and darkroom is still part of the curriculum at New Hampshire Institute of Art. The director of the photography department is a frequent visitor here, too.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i like more info about the MFAprogram please email to rlambrec@ymail.com. many thanks!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best darkroom class that I ever took was also very cost effective. Unfortunately, Per Volquartz no longer offers them.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I teach film/darkroom (Photography I and II) at Lone Star College-Montgomery, a Houston area community college. No digital. There are several satellite campuses that also offer these classes.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin