Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,751   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Wet Plate Collodion Workshop, Penland, NC July 7-19, 2013

I am happy to announce I will be teaching a Wet Plate Collodion Workshop this summer at the Penland School of Arts and Crafts, July 7-19, 2013. The class will deal with the Wet Plate Collodion Positive where we will be making Ambrotypes, Tintypes, and Alumitypes. The class will cover from start to finish the Wet Plate Collodion process, from mixing the chemistry, to creating the plates, to varnishing the finished work. I will be assisted by another fantastic Wet Plate artist, Melitte Buchman so the expertise to student ratio will allow for hands on experience with those that have been working and teaching the process for nearly a decade. This is a working class. With nearly two weeks of time to work in the process the workshop will be portfolio driven with the expectation that you walk away with a portfolio of images that reflect a strong knowledge of the process by the end of the session. There will be at least one day (maybe two) in the field working with portable dark boxes and my traveling darkroom so that the problems that are inherent to field work can be explored and dealt with. There will also be a day in which participants get to use either a 16 x 20 or 20 x 24 camera to pour and create ULF Wet Plate images. Penland has a beautiful campus with many disciplines where art takes center stage for the session so I hope you can join us. It promises to be an exciting two weeks.

PM if you have any further questions about me, the class or Penland.

best,

Monty McCutchen

http://penland.org/classes/summer/summer_session_4.html

Cost for tuition and accommodations are here;

http://penland.org/classes/fees.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen%20shot%202012-10-08%20at%206-1.21.18%20PM copy.png  
    Last edited by Zebra; 01-31-2013 at 02:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Is there a possibility that this course could be run with you using skype so as to not offend anyone who is standing near you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a killer class and place, Monty. Would love to do this. It would be worth it for the personality alone. I'll come if you let me wear the purple bowler?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a friend who's done a summer at Penland in ceramic arts. The class looks amazing, and it's driving-distance for me, but the two weeks off will be tough to arrange. *crosses fingers*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Is there a possibility that this course could be run with you using skype so as to not offend anyone who is standing near you.
    Bob you should drive down and help out like Tattoo on Fantasy Island.
    Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

- Anton Chigurh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    the plane , the plane boss

I wish Monty well, I have seen his big plates and they are nothing short of outstanding. Amazing what a Texan can do when they put their mind to it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Monty-

How far a drive is Penland from Clemson, SC?
    Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jim,

Clemson is about an hour and a half from us here in Asheville, of course south of us, so that would put it about 2 and half to three hours depending on exact door to door times.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Damn. I may have free lodgings in Clemson over the summer. An hour and a half I could do, but 2.5 hours? Probably wouldn't work.
    Jim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks all for the interest and kind words. I think it will be a great class. Bob I checked with Penland and they definitely have step ladders, just wanted to make sure you could see the demo's if you decided to take the class.

Monty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin