Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,706   Online: 801

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Show in Philadelphia of my carbon prints and Platinum prints Feb 15 to March 15, 2013

Hello! I have a one-person show up at the University of the Arts in Philadelphia in Gallery 1401. It will be up until March 15th.

Twenty+ carbon and platinum photographs -- a landscape mixture of Redwoods and Yosemite. Most are 8x10 with a couple 11x14 carbon prints.

They are flying me back there at the end of a month -- I'll be giving a carbon printing workshop to a few students and faculty on the weekend (March 2/3), but with a demo of the process on that Saturday morning before the actual workshop begins. If anyone would like to be at the demo (it will take a couple hours starting around 10 am...not set in stone yet), let me know and I'll see if non-university folks are welcomed. I'll arrive late Thursday night and spend Friday checking out the facilities and maybe running a few tests. I'll talk to a class on Tuesday in the gallery and fly home on Wednesday.

I heard there was a good art museum in town...if it is open on Mondays, I'll try to get there.

If you are in the area and would like to see this strange old process in the flesh, come on by!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Congrats! Little too far for me, but happy for ya! Wish I could attend!
    Andy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Congratulations Vaughn, I'm sure it'll be a beautiful show, wish I could see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are three very special art museums in the same area. The Phila. Museum of Art has a great collection of photos in their print dept. Contact them in advance of your trip, and you probably can see some stuff that is not currently on display. Years ago, my sister worked there, and I got to spend a few hours with some Weston and Adams prints- bare naked, as it were. Your show at the premier art college in the area should give you some 'gallery cred'.
    Second is the Rodin Museum, a collection second only to the one in Paris. Say no more.
    Third is a new museum right by the Rodin, named for some rich collector(Barnes??) which has just been relocated to the museum district in the last year or so- haven't got there yet. You might check with David Lyga here, as he lives close by the Parkway, as it's called. I'm sure he'd love to see your show, and few people get around better on public transport.
    Have fun, and eat a lot of obscure ethnic foods. David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alas, the Philadelphia Museum of Art and its associated sites (Rodin, Perelman Annex) are not open on Mondays. (Unless the Monday is one of certain holidays -- go figure!) It appears the Barnes Foundation may be open every day; advance tickets are recommended.

The stuff on the 2nd & 3rd I doubt I can make, it's the weekend of mounting an art show in which I'm deeply entangled, but with a little luck, I might at least get to see your exhibit. It is amazing how much art-related stuff is trying to happen in the next month or so.

Hope it all goes well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Show in Philadelphia of my carbon prints and Platinum prints Feb 15 to March 15

Congratulations on the show. All the best for it.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Congratulations Vaughn, your work is exquisite. I remember seeing some of your prints at the University of Washington, Vancouver campus during the Northwest APUG gathering there (by the way, whatever happened to the Northwest chapter of APUG?). Anyway, good luck with the show and the workshop.

Michael Stathatos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree, seeing Vaughn's prints in person gets me excited about photography all over again. I never get tired of viewing work at this level of perfection. Congratulations on the show!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Images of the show!

The print in the wood frame had no glass -- people are encouraged to touch the carbon print and feel the raised relief. I try to tie in some education with my shows -- there is also a brief description of the carbon process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HFogel-6959.jpg   HFogel-6958.jpg   HFogel-6955.jpg   HFogel-6954.jpg   HFogel-7017.jpg  

At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin