Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,715   Online: 1169

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bill - Congrats! Your Kickstarter success is a testament to your love of art and ability to build a community of like minded individuals virtually and not virtually - with hammer and nails - the ultimate analog success!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Everyone!

Thought I'd post a quick update and let you all know we have finally started! We were still getting snow storms into the last week which suspended the planned start a bit, but not too bad. It is Northern Michigan after all and it was a bit too much to think that I could break ground before April.

This is a photo of the site as of Sunday, April 6th and I am very happy to report that the crew clearing the trees called today to say that all trees you see marked in this photo are down. Tomorrow the stumps are to be removed and then some fill brought in to elevate and level the site. We'll now have to wait until the county lifts the spring weight restrictions on the roads before this happens, but I wanted to let you know that progress is finally being made. We're on the way!

Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	building_site_4_6_2013_smaller.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	199.7 KB 
ID:	67029

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Photographic Workshop Facility for Photostock and Beyond - Kickstarter.

It's a shame about the trees I hope they are put to good use

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    It's a shame about the trees I hope they are put to good use
    I feel the same way. I hate cutting them. Sadly, many of them are Beeches with the newly ravaging Beech Bark Disease. They'd all be dead in 10 years or sooner anyway. This way they will keep us warm next winter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bill- if it's any comfort, you may have helped slow the spreading of the disease by removing a grove of infected trees.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Photographic Workshop Facility for Photostock and Beyond - Kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Bill- if it's any comfort, you may have helped slow the spreading of the disease by removing a grove of infected trees.
    Yes what he says! yay! Saving trees! Haha.

Man I hope I can make it out there someday...

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill, I saw the recent kickstarter post and it mentioned the darkroom. It's funny that I assumed there'd be a darkroom but never gave thought about how you were going to deal with the waste water. The site seems fairly remote from public sewer systems and I would guess that in that area in general most commonly septic systems are used. Do you have access to public sewer or have you come up with an alternative means for chemical waste water? I ask that because I have considered building a house in an area without access to a sewer and was hoping that maybe you had a solution I have not considered.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Final Rewards Going Out Soon!

To all of the kind folks who pledged to this, I thank you again... big time. It has been a long time since I've revisited this thread and I wanted to let people know where everything stands.

First, those of you that are still awaiting their rewards, please accept my apology at being slow. As I mentioned, it has been a wild year and part of this was that I was having a hard time getting the "Waterside" book correct. After couple of false starts and delays, the final version is now with the printer and awaiting binding and shipping. it should be here very soon now and I will ship them as fast as I can sign them once they are here. Envelopes, labels... it's all ready to go. There are also a few hand made items to go, but those are almost complete as well. It is my hope that after all the delay, everyone will have their rewards by the holiday. If I ever try this again, or if anyone else out there is considering it, multiply the time you think it will take by 3!

As for the building, it is pretty incredible. I've been able to get much farther than I ever thought possible and have been putting my all into it while still leaving some time for making a living and spending time with my family. I've been pretty much living there since starting in late April and have only recently begun spending more time at home for the winter.

We've had one party at the dedication during Photostock and 2 successful workshops so far. Even though it is still not completed, it is well on the way. All interior walls have been roughed in, electrical wiring is all installed and the insulation is almost complete. Just last week, the dedicated septic system was installed and the water lines laid. Come spring, we'll begin the drywall, finish the darkroom and turn on the water. And by Photostock next year, the place should be fully up and running.

I've also got some pretty good workshops and instructors lined up, so I hope you'll stay tuned to the North Light Photographic Workshops site for updates and announcements.

Thanks Again! Bill

PS...
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser View Post
    I ask that because I have considered building a house in an area without access to a sewer and was hoping that maybe you had a solution I have not considered.
    The answer ER's questions about septic and disposal of chemicals is in the dedicated septic system. All darkroom drains go into their own 1500 gallon tank. All fixer will be reclaimed and the system will be pumped out by waste disposal as needed. All other sewage (from rest room) goes into an already existing septic system.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails walls_1.jpg   walls_2.jpg   fall.jpg   interior_1_small.jpg   interior_2_small.jpg  

Last edited by billschwab; 11-27-2013 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks great Bill! Please ignore my comment on your last update at Kickstarter. I've found my answer with your last post here. Thanks.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Looks great Bill! Please ignore my comment on your last update at Kickstarter. I've found my answer with your last post here. Thanks.
    Hi Rich!

We're thinking the same thing. I just found your comment on the Kickstarter update. Sorry about that as I don't get notices of the comments. I see it wasn't that long ago, so we are obviously on the same wavelength. I was awaiting the book on yours, but will send off the other prints right after the holiday. As for the workshop or one on one, we have to talk of that for next year, but you already know that. We'll cross that bridge then. I've got some good stuff coming that you may be interested in as well.

Thanks again for being the one to put it over the top!!

Best, Bill

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin